Jun

Early Bird Chat

US President Barack Obama speaks with comedian Jimmy Fallon during a taping of the NBC television network's "Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon" on June 8, 2016 in New York. / AFP / YURI GRIPAS (Photo credit should read YURI GRIPAS/AFP/Getty Images)

President Barack Obama speaks with comedian Jimmy Fallon during a taping of the NBC television network’s “Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon”

All Times Eastern

10:30AM: President Obama receives the Presidential Daily Briefing

11:15AM: President Obama meets with Bernie Sanders

12:05PM: President Obama has lunch with young men participating in the White House Mentorship and Leadership Program

3:25PM: President Obama meets with Attorney General Lynch

5:10PM: President Obama hosts a reception to observe LGBT Pride Month

135 Responses to “Early Bird Chat”

1. 1 COS
    June 9, 2016 at 8:09 am

GM NW and TOD, and thanks.

2. June 9, 2016 at 8:21 am

Good morning COS, NW and TOD 🙂

Superlative choice of photos, NW 🙂

3. June 9, 2016 at 8:22 am

Yes It Is ….

Thank you Obama ….

4. June 9, 2016 at 8:23 am
    • 9 Dudette
      June 9, 2016 at 10:16 am

For real? Ha! Kewl! 😄

• 10 Dudette
      June 9, 2016 at 10:20 am

Peep this:

“4. He was targeted by a Tijuana drug cartel in the ’90s.

When Curiel was a prosecutor in Southern California specializing in drug cases, a secretly taped prison conversation revealed that a top lieutenant for the Arellano-Felix Mexican drug cartel received permission to kill him. Curiel reportedly hunkered down for a while on a naval base and had “one or two bodyguards with him” for about a year. The irony? Curiel has already done more to stop the flow of drugs from Mexico into the United States than the man criticizing him.”

• 11 Dudette
      June 9, 2016 at 10:30 am

5. June 9, 2016 at 8:25 am

Good Morning 😀, Everyone 😄

6. June 9, 2016 at 8:26 am

Hope all of you have a fine day ….

… bbl ….

7. 14 Daiseymay
    June 9, 2016 at 8:32 am

Good morning NW and all from a dedicated lurker. Just a note to say how much I appreciate this site and each of you. I have learned so much from you over the years. Living in a super red state surrounded by Confederate flag flying folks, you have kept me sane and are a safe retreat for me from the hate and ignorance around. Thank you. I ‘m fired up and ready to go for HRC!

8. 17 Ladyhawke
    June 9, 2016 at 8:37 am

Sen Franken Makes Case For Obama Supreme Court Pick With History Lession

• 18 kid kanga
      June 9, 2016 at 11:09 am

I REALLY Hope all GOP senators were listening to this history lesson delivered via smackdown. Republicans are such strict constitutionalists, unless and until they aren’t because of ‘that one”.

very proud to have Sen. Al represent us in MN. possible sleeper Veep pick???? 🙂

9. 19 Ladyhawke
    June 9, 2016 at 8:44 am

Rep. Barbara Lee: Paul Ryan’s New Plan Will Put More Families in Poverty

While the Speaker is rebranding these failed ideas as a “better way,” the American people can see that his proposals are clearly the wrong way to address poverty. His plan will just push more families into dire poverty—and force them to choose between their medicine, groceries and homes.

Republican rhetoric on “opportunity” and “rewarding work,” disguises the plain truth: their plan for the nearly 47 million Americans living in poverty is nothing but cuts.
    With his new proposal, the Speaker just told these struggling Americans: “you’re on your own.”

• 20 jackiegrumbacher
      June 9, 2016 at 8:58 am

LH, I wish people would wake up and stop electing Republicans to Congress. That’s really the way to make American truly ‘great.’ Every time I think of all the economy and job boosting legislation pushed by PBO and spurned by the GOP, I get angrier and angrier.

10. 21 Ladyhawke
    June 9, 2016 at 8:48 am

11. June 9, 2016 at 8:50 am

G’morning Nerdy & TOD!! 🙂 Congrats COS on #1, Happy Thursday everyone!!

June 9, 2016 at 8:55 am

LOL – we here at TOD have known this for quite some time now…

• 24 jackiegrumbacher
      June 9, 2016 at 9:21 am

LH, I hope everyone takes the time to read this. The future of the Democratic Party is the Obama coalition, not the young white vote, which is idealistic in its own way, but completely unreliable. If those who support the concept that income inequality is our greatest problem want to push it to the forefront of the national economic agenda, then they have to do more than pout about HRC and refuse to vote. They have to do the long, hard work of community organizing and recruiting candidates for public office who support their beliefs. This is a million levels of magnitude harder than going to a rally and writing nasty comments on social media. It’s relentlessly difficult work and I’ll wait to see if the Bernie millennials have the determination and organizational skills to take this on.

June 9, 2016 at 9:44 am

As always, perfect comment. Thank you. Summed up my thoughts:)

• 26 Don
        June 9, 2016 at 9:46 am

“This is a million levels of magnitude harder than going to a rally and writing nasty comments on social media. It’s relentlessly difficult work and I’ll wait to see if the Bernie millennials have the determination and organizational skills to take this on.”

Great point, Jackie!

13. 27 JER
    June 9, 2016 at 9:00 am

Good Morning NW and TOD.

14. 28 Ladyhawke
    June 9, 2016 at 9:09 am

When he gets called out by his own former students, or by his own employees … what does Trump do at that point? Does he man up and take his licks? Does he offer people their money back? No! No, no. He whines about the press, he whimpers about the students, and he complains that the judge doesn’t like him. Well Donald, it’s time to stop sniveling and put on your big boy pants because this is what accountability feels like!
    Read more at http://wonkette.com/602656/youll-need-a-cigarette-after-watching-elizabeth-warrens-latest-donald-trump-nad-stompin#0VoRLuTcK2Bql3VZ.99

• 29 jackiegrumbacher
      June 9, 2016 at 9:39 am

Wow! That was one heck of a speech. We all need to memorize her memes and repeat them every day.

• 30 carla4obama
      June 9, 2016 at 9:51 am

This speech is great! Warren points out why we are Democrats….makes us proud. This speech is perfect for the DNC.

15. 33 GGAIL
    June 9, 2016 at 9:16 am

Good West Coast morning NW & TOD family.
    PBO is awesome and quite funny too 😊

16. June 9, 2016 at 9:17 am

What Binds Ryan’s Post-Truth Agenda to Trump’s Post-Policy Politics: Racism
    by Nancy LeTourneau June 9, 2016 12:18 PM

………………………………..

After the Bush/Cheney era and the Great Recession, being post-truth didn’t work very well anymore. Most Americans saw very clearly what happened when the Republican agenda was enacted. Rather than re-think that agenda, they simply went post-policy and obstructed anything President Obama and the Democrats tried to do. In order to rally their ground troops in support, Republican fanned the flames of racism, fear and anger. As I’ve written before, Donald Trump is the epitome of post-policy nihilism.

………………………………………

So, if Donald Trump is post-policy and Paul Ryan is post-truth, where do their agendas come together. Jonathan Chait gave us the answer.

There is nothing inherently racist about Ryan’s policy agenda. The arguments for enormous, regressive tax cuts, deregulation of finance and carbon pollution, and large reductions in spending assistance for the poor may be unpersuasive, but they have no intellectual connection to racism. The trouble for Republicans is that building a real-world constituency for these policies does rely on racism. Conservatives stopped the momentum of the New Deal in the mid-1960s only when they associated it with support for the black underclass. Republican politics has grown increasingly racialized over time, a trend that has dramatically accelerated during the Obama era.

In other words, just as racism has been the fuel that ignites the post-policy positioning of Republicans over the last few years, it has been exploited for decades as a way to divide and conquer support for the progressive agenda.

17. June 9, 2016 at 9:19 am

• June 9, 2016 at 9:20 am

• June 9, 2016 at 9:41 am

I was watching CNN and they said Elizabeth Warren suppose to give a speech about Trump and the Republicans. How I wish I could hear that speech

• 43 Don
        June 9, 2016 at 9:42 am

The thing that I liked about President Obama is that he did not do drama. Senator Warren is a great advocate for whatever cause she’s involved in, but she does have drama tendencies. And with a Clinton White House you know that there’s going to be drama around every corner. Clinton/Warren might be a bit much.

• 44 Roberta in MN
          June 9, 2016 at 9:52 am

I have to agree with you. But I really don’t think America is ready for 2 women on the ticket. It is going to be a hard fight to elect Hillary President, I am not willing to give that up just to have Elizabeth Warren on the ticket. She may be a barn burner against Trump, but she goes off the rails at times and I am not comfortable with that.

June 9, 2016 at 9:58 am

Personally, if its possible, I would like to see her be Senate Majority Leader:) For now…..

• 46 Roberta in MN
            June 9, 2016 at 10:00 am

Yes that sound great to me. I dislike and do not trust Schumer.

June 9, 2016 at 10:08 am

Schumer is a little skeezy to me….Warren would be AWESOME…then she could make her points, bust some chops, sharpen her skills and make her national mark…..then, hopefully, one day, a President Warren:) I think she’s awesome.

• 48 Dudette
            June 9, 2016 at 11:04 am

Me too

• June 9, 2016 at 10:24 am

Great point. Joe Biden has been an outstanding VP because he clearly understands their respective roles. Warren loves the spotlight as much as anybody. She’s got a great heart but her tendency for drama is strong. When Reid promoted her in the Senate I think some really gave that whole thing the side-eye.

Also, these two things still bother me a LOT.

June 9, 2016 at 11:54 am

This is how I feel as an outsider and exactly why I never say anything when Warren is floated as a possible VP contender. Being a ‘quiet’ person myself, I just don’t go for her ‘dramatic’ approach to issues. I share some of Roberta’s feelings too.

June 9, 2016 at 12:12 pm

Plus, looking down the road and over the next 4 years, I honestly do not see Warren as being a good combination with Clinton. IMHO, Clinton needs someone who will complement her style not exacerbate situations; someone more ‘restful’ in their manner of criticism (like VPBiden), someone who doesn’t seem to be climbing the political ladder. Warren to me, seems to be on a climbing mission and I think Hillary needs a partner with whom she can build a trusting, confidential working *relationship*. I suspect having Warren as a 2nd in command would cater more to Hillary’s more pugnacious side – something some here believe she has managed to corral as she has entered AND progressed through this primary season. I’d hate to see Clinton regress because her partner choice was made based on Warren’s *fiery* behaviour.

• 52 mtmarilyn
              June 9, 2016 at 1:45 pm

I so agree, VC. She needs someone like Biden has been for PBO.

June 9, 2016 at 2:03 pm

Yes. Someone knowledgeable, calm, and having the instincts to work with both sides, WHILE not shirking from speaking the truth.

• 54 SUEDUVALLSMITH
      June 9, 2016 at 9:52 am

INDEED……………….I WANT TO SEE JULIAN CASTRO IN THE WH….:)……………………..

18. 55 JER
    June 9, 2016 at 9:19 am

Bernie Sanders protesters are planning to campout during the DNC. However, the city of Philadelphia is not granting camping permits. Protesters will have to camp out in New Jersey. Video: http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/politics/Camping-Out-to-Protest-DNC_Philadelphia-382333301.html

19. June 9, 2016 at 9:27 am

it will be interesting to see what Sanders tone will be after meeting with the President…i suspect he will be still be rude…disrespectful and arrogant…because that is who has always been

20. 62 Ladyhawke
    June 9, 2016 at 9:29 am

21. June 9, 2016 at 9:38 am

June 9, 2016 at 9:40 am

Good morning, Chips and TODville – and a special good morning to you, NW, for keeping us afloat and giving us all these pretty pictures! And reading material. And a place to hang our hats! Love ya!

• 67 jackiegrumbacher
      June 9, 2016 at 9:49 am

Morning, JO’B. I saw your comments about RFK on the last thread and it brought back so many painful memories. I was watching the California primary on tv when someone told the crowd what had happened. It was heartbreaking and unforgettable. I will never forget the photos of a pregnant Ethel kneeling on the floor and holding his bleeding head in her lap. In some ways I’ve never recovered from that tragedy and all the others that marked the 60’s. Hope died that night to be resurrected in 2008 by PBO.

June 9, 2016 at 9:59 am

I was with you every step of the way, jackieG – still am. So grateful our generation got to vote twice for PBO, thus – finally – moving #FORWARD. Hugs to you!

• 69 Roberta in MN
        June 9, 2016 at 9:59 am

I agree with you JackieB, it was life changing what happen to RFK. He was my hope for the future. I thought at that time, our nation was going to collapse and then came 2007 when Barack H Obama ran for President of the United State and I had hope again. God Bless him and his family for taking on the job of President for a country that doesn’t serve him. Love you all here at TOD and Nerdy you are just awesome in keeping us well informed. ((((hugs)))

23. 70 Ladyhawke
    June 9, 2016 at 9:45 am

• 71 jackiegrumbacher
      June 9, 2016 at 9:58 am

Excellent point. I think Sen. Warren is best positioned as an attack dog in this campaign, not as a VP candidate where her primary purpose would be to support Hillary and her agenda. She should be on the Senate floor where she can act independently and say what she wants in public forums without worrying about how it will reflect on the nominee. I don’t mean that the VP has to be a sycophant, but he/she has one obligation–support the nominee/president and carry out his/her commissions. This does not strike me as Elizabeth Warren’s style. Hillary is well able to hold her own against Donald Trump and I do not think it serves her purpose to have people thinking that her VP candidate would be tougher than she is.

June 9, 2016 at 12:43 pm

Amen, JackieG! If I had traveled down the thread before making my late comment, as I did above, I would have saved myself the effort of trying to be diplomatic. You have very eloquently said what I was trying to say, thank you! We seem to see Warren through the same prism.

• 73 Obama Grandmama
        June 9, 2016 at 12:51 pm

I would have loved seeing a Biden/Warren ticket lining Warren up for the Presidency. BUT I really like Warren in the Senate taking the Lion’s place. We need a strong voice in the Senate. Also, we will be very lucky to get our first woman President elected. I hate to complicate it by putting two women on the ticket at this time. I too know Warren can get stubborn seeing only one side of the issue. I see too many sides as I also think it might be a way to appease Bernie’s supporters.

24. 74 SUEDUVALLSMITH
    June 9, 2016 at 9:50 am

THE ENERGIZER LOOKS GOOD AND RESTED….THE YELLOW BRICK ROAD WILL NEVER BE THE SAME AFTER HE’S FINISHED WITH IT!..LOL………………………I LOVE MY PRESIDENT..GET YOUR OWN!

25. June 9, 2016 at 9:54 am

#Erdogan can’t stop it ….

Thank you Obama …..

26. 77 JER
    June 9, 2016 at 9:58 am

President Barack Obama returns to the White House after a trip to New York.

27. 78 SUEDUVALLSMITH
    June 9, 2016 at 10:04 am

June 9, 2016 at 10:05 am

Go, Ireland!

• 80 99ts
      June 9, 2016 at 11:20 am

“Kenny recently described Trump as “racist and dangerous” reflecting widespread opinion in Ireland that Trump would be a disaster internationally.

Kenny has refused to soften his remarks, which look far less provocative since some members of Trump’s own party, including House Speaker Paul Ryan, have accused him of racist behavior”

Should be more leaders saying similar – our wimps refuse to say anything.

June 9, 2016 at 10:13 am

paging bt, 57f. report in.

June 9, 2016 at 10:19 am

WOW! He’s right, but where has he been all these years that this crap has been happening? Was Trump the catalyst for this?

Really…I think they call these pols lacking a moral backbone…or lacking integrity…..

• 83 Don
      June 9, 2016 at 10:49 am

Who am I to stand in front of a man when he’s having a come-to-Jesus moment? But Friedman like so many others stood silent for far too long as the GOP courted and bankrolled racist in the long history of this country. Trump hasn’t even been asked to disavow his endorsement from the KKK. The only problem that the GOP has with Trump is that he talks to loud. They’d prefer that Trump keep his thoughts to himself, like Romney and his “quiet rooms.” And now Trump has become their Frankenstein, full of hate, sexism, and xenophobia.

31. June 9, 2016 at 10:31 am

Good Thursday morning, TODville. Sending lots of love and healing vibes to Chips and her mother. I hope all is going well.

And tons of gratitude and appreciation to our fearless leader, Nerdy Wonka.

32. June 9, 2016 at 10:31 am

33. 88 JER
    June 9, 2016 at 10:35 am

34. June 9, 2016 at 10:37 am

July 16-20 the NAACP Convention Hillary Clinton, Donald Trump, and President Obama will be invited to speak. Possible the First Lady too.

35. 91 JER
    June 9, 2016 at 10:38 am

Reporters Await Possible Remarks from Pres. Candidate Bernie Sanders Following His Meeting at the White House – http://abcnews.go.com/Live?stream=3

36. June 9, 2016 at 10:43 am

Jackie Speier is FIERCE.

37. 96 Linda
    June 9, 2016 at 10:49 am

Anyone that thinks a 70 year old white man of privilege with orange hair and skin, that was thrown out of prep school and sent to a military school for being a bully is going to ” stay on script ” is hallucinating.

38. 98 JER
    June 9, 2016 at 10:50 am

SOON: Rep. Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., Holds News Conference – http://abcnews.go.com/Live?stream=2

39. 99 Don
    June 9, 2016 at 10:55 am

My thought is that when the Republican Party start a whisper campaign saying that Trump has some mental issues, then you’ll know that they can’t deal with him anymore and they want his ass gone.

June 9, 2016 at 11:24 am

He said it in a crass way, which I won’t repeat, but even the mellow Deepak Chopra has come out to say Trump has emotional and mental health issues. Chopra says Trump brings out “the dark side” in others, including himself.

• 101 amk for obama
      June 9, 2016 at 11:33 am

ask, thou shall be given.

The longtime Republican strategist, who has advised the likes of Bob Dole, Lamar Alexander and John McCain, said Donald Trump’s campaign can bring on as many experienced operatives as it wants, but suggested that he needs fewer operatives and more psychiatrists.

“The problem is they’re like Charlie Manson’s fox trot instructors,” Murphy said of experienced operators like Paul Manafort and Tony Fabrizio. “Yeah, they could teach him how to dance. But he’s too busy trying to cut their heads off, because he’s insane. So they can add the noise of a campaign. But it’s ultimately all about Trump. And Trump’s favorite thing to do is rent a hall, read the crowd, tell them what they like to hear, and then get on his plane and watch himself on cable.”

In order to win, Murphy said, Trump “would need to dramatically change the perception people have of him now.” But, seeing that as improbable, he continued, “I think his answer is less in political strategy and more in a team of shrinks to get him back into some sort of mentality where he understands he has to change.”

• 102 Don
        June 9, 2016 at 11:38 am

Oh no you don’t, buddy, I want credit for saying a long time ago that Trump was a looney fucking toon.

40. June 9, 2016 at 10:59 am

41. 104 Dudette
    June 9, 2016 at 11:15 am

Don’t get too comfortable. You won’t be staying long.

42. 105 MightyPamela
    June 9, 2016 at 11:15 am

❤ mornin' y'all. Whacked out start to this day, have a candle going for the time PBO has to straighten out tehbernedout dood – no question the fool will shuffle out drooling and slobbering all over himself. Hope his depends are secure. Do we think it will finally be over? PBO, the only one on earth who could have brought the entire world this far along. Blessings all ❤️🌹🙏🏻🌹❤️

43. June 9, 2016 at 11:17 am

YES WE CAN

44. 108 Dudette
    June 9, 2016 at 11:23 am

😂

45. 109 JER
    June 9, 2016 at 11:26 am

46. June 9, 2016 at 11:27 am

June 9, 2016 at 11:38 am

Now that I’ve written a couple Bernie-mocks, I recall VP Joe says “be graceful” about giving him time. So, I’ll be good. 🙂

48. 129 Dudette
    June 9, 2016 at 11:41 am

June 9, 2016 at 11:51 am

Nina Turner needs a little chill pill and a little rest. When you’re that emotionally involved (Bernie’s campaign plus the loss of her own recent race), it takes time to unwind. I, for one, think she probably means well, but she’s a bit out of control.

• June 9, 2016 at 11:55 am

I don’t recall the President ever saying he was Bernie Sanders boss. Sometimes Nina Turner goes to dam far.I really have lost respect for her.

• 132 Obama Grandmama
      June 9, 2016 at 1:04 pm

The President is the head of the Democratic Party though by virtue of having the highest elected office in the party.

49. 134 Dudette
    June 9, 2016 at 11:43 am

50. June 9, 2016 at 12:42 pm

Obamacare’s Success in Protecting our Finances
    It wasn’t the primary goal, but it’s a big help nonetheless.
    by Nancy LeTourneau
    June 9, 2016 2:41 PM

One of the critiques we often heard both during and after passage of Obamacare was that health care reform shouldn’t have been the priority while the country was climbing out of the Great Recession. That misses the point that the stimulus package had just been passed and even Democrats were not likely to have backed doing more until it had been fully implemented.

But the critique also misses a point about Obamacare’s impact on our financial challenges. We know that before it passed, healthcare expenses were the leading cause of individual bankruptcies. In addition, the rise in costs were leading to healthcare expenses soaking up unsustainable portions of both state and federal budgets. That is why this statement from members of the Federal Reserve Bank of New York contains some truth.

…the primary purpose of this law [Obamacare} “is not to protect our health per se, but to protect our finances.”

I don’t necessarily agree that protecting our finances was the primary purpose of the law. Ensuring that people had access to health care supersedes all other goals. But it is important to acknowledge that the main reason that was becoming more and more difficult was financial.

The Feds included that statement as a part of their report demonstrating yet another way Obamacare is succeeding.

…they’ve found a big difference between indebtedness trends in states that embraced the Medicaid expansion versus the ones that did not

The analysts reason that the average amount of debt sent to collections agencies would tend to rise in the event that people without insurance required costly medical attention. Yet, U.S. counties that had a particularly high uninsured rate prior to the implementation of the Affordable Care Act have seen the per capita collection balance fall if their state embraced the Medicaid expansion. If not, the collection balance continued to climb.

@POTUS