Sep

The President and First Lady’s Day

The President and First Lady leaving the White House this morning

• • •

@dougmillsnyt: President Obama walks from the Oval Office to make a statement about the Syria airstrikes

Barack+Obama+Barack+Obama+Delivers+Statement+SgAjAmGRYoLl

President Obama makes a statement on recent U.S. and allied airstrikes against ISIS in Syria

Text of the President’s remarks here

• • •

President Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama depart the White House to New York for the United Nations General Assembly

c08b7f47788d8825600f6a706700e6ba

f51e5723789d8825600f6a706700b4ea

598ee7c778668725600f6a706700ab4a

cb177de7788c8825600f6a7067002572

2014-09-23T171230Z_858779267_TB3EA9N1C1EBI_RTRMADP_3_USA-OBAMA

President Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama greet people after arriving at JFK International Airport

• • •

@BarackObama: Retweet if you agree. #ActOnClimate

Text of the President’s remarks here

Barack+Obama+World+Leaders+Speak+UN+Climate+ogZ2w5aFspLl

3c7bb0ac78be8925600f6a7067008a4c

President Obama addresses the Climate Summit at the United Nations General Assembly

a5aadb7d78ba8925600f6a706700be5e

President Obama is greeted by United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon

3ddad71c78bb8925600f6a7067004a7a

• • •

@petesouza: Presidents Obama and Clinton backstage at the Clinton Global Initiative

President Obama speaks at the Clinton Global Initiative in New York

Text of the President’s remarks here

Barack+Obama+President+Obama+Speaks+Annual+Ngn0WpQ3q9ml

2014-09-23T185828Z_607525537_GM1EA9O086801_RTRMADP_3_USA-CLINTON

Barack+Obama+President+Obama+Speaks+Annual+fR31ES6msccl

Barack+Obama+President+Obama+Speaks+Annual+ptObkkzXINKl

0b8c1482790b8a25600f6a7067000671

2014-09-23T190130Z_906561277_GM1EA9O088D01_RTRMADP_3_USA-CLINTON

• • •

President Obama and senior advisers meet with representatives from the five Arab countries plus Iraq who have participated in air strikes against ISIS in Syria in New York City

89 Responses to “The President and First Lady’s Day”

1. 1 Allison
    September 23, 2014 at 9:16 pm

Thanks, NW!

2. September 23, 2014 at 9:21 pm

Thank you Nerdy. You are spoiling us with these beautiful shots.

3. September 23, 2014 at 9:21 pm

thanks for allowing me and others to catch up.

4. September 23, 2014 at 9:24 pm

Nerdy, you’re epically wonderful, what a beautiful, perfect round-up of the day, endless thanks.

5. September 23, 2014 at 9:26 pm

Congrats Allison, and TY NW for a great, well-timed post! Wonderful alternative to @Maddow, the General, now being joined by co-general Engel – can’t tolerate the show any more, nor her “witty” headlines, often distasteful, as is so tonight.

6. September 23, 2014 at 9:26 pm

• September 23, 2014 at 11:10 pm

What I love most about this photo, besides this little one glows like an angel, is the way she is so gently and lovingly touching PBO’s arm, in a natural and affectionate way. Fills me with great joy!

7. September 23, 2014 at 9:28 pm

If we just sit back, ISIS will catch ebola and die. So…, there’s that.

8. 18 anniebella
    September 23, 2014 at 9:33 pm

I hear Rachel Maddow preaching.

9. 23 mtmarilyn
    September 23, 2014 at 9:42 pm

I have been on the road for 2 days, was able to read all the wonderful posts. It is so great to be able to come here and really read the news. Love not watching any TV. Those pictures are wonderful. Thank you Nerdy Wonka for putting them all together. Our President is so hard working. He is working for all of us now and the future.

September 23, 2014 at 9:46 pm

I see that MSNBC is in full meltdown mode this evening…

11. September 23, 2014 at 10:03 pm

The final stage of the meltdown has just begun. Sir Lawrence of Arabia is here. He is usually more measured than his predecessor, her Majesty Maddow. Let’s hope he simply amuses me tonight. If I get annoyed, he too will disappear from the screen.

12. September 23, 2014 at 10:03 pm

I asked Lawrence Odonell what’s it like to hangout with Tamron Hall ?
    Is she high maintenance?
    Seriously dude ?

13. September 23, 2014 at 10:06 pm

Hey folks, still recovering from my recent struggle with insomnia. Having dinner and then settling in for a long (hopefully) night’s sleep. See everyone on the flip.

14. 43 jziglar
    September 23, 2014 at 10:17 pm

Can someone please explain how this operation is the Iraq War ? The Iraq war was about removing Saddam under false pretenses , and the mission and occupation came to a close at the end of 2011. Right now we are collaborating with the Iraqi government and the Kurds to help them stop ISIL. I’m sick of this stupid hyped up crap from the idiots in the media. It always about making Obama look bad and nothing else.

• September 23, 2014 at 10:19 pm

Nothing! It’s just that the media knows that this president was against the Iraq war . So , like children, they’re trying to rub this in his face. It’s devious and malicious !

• September 23, 2014 at 11:25 pm

The media pundits know-it-alls try to predict the present and future based on the past….this is mission creep (the Iraq mission already ended), this is going to drag us into war with ????? we are not at war with anyone. PBO is doing the same thing that Clinton did only smarter because he got the other country leaders in the region involved to tap down these terrorist. I think the media has never seen a president do what this president is doing and therefore can’t predict whether it’s correct in THEIR minds.

• 47 jackiegrumbacher
      September 23, 2014 at 10:24 pm

No one can explain it, jzlglar, because there’s no comparison except in the fevered, mushy brains of pundits who don’t know what they’re talking about.

15. 48 MadameSoph
    September 23, 2014 at 10:25 pm

Thank you Nerdy for this beautiful summary (with YouTubes of all the speeches – extra thanks!!!) I’m having busy days lately and this is such a help to have access to these photos and speeches at day’s end.

PBO spoke on multiple issues important to our well-being. So grateful he is our President and the world’s leader at this critical time in our history.

16. 51 jackiegrumbacher
    September 23, 2014 at 10:29 pm

Nerdy, this is just a brilliant and beautiful summary of the day. Everything is here–the look, the content, the ‘feel’ of what these endless meetings and speeches must be like for the president. Truly a bravura effort. Thank you.

17. 54 jziglar
    September 23, 2014 at 10:29 pm

Turley actually said that Obama is worse than Nixon and Bush when it comes to the constitution. Smh !

September 23, 2014 at 10:35 pm

What!!!!! I’m shock Turley would say something like that. Is it possible that the black guy in the oval office knows something about the Constitution too?

September 23, 2014 at 10:36 pm

He’s no dummy.

• 57 FoxfireTX
        September 23, 2014 at 11:40 pm

Actually, as a Senator I suspect PBO would take the same position. But as CiC, he feels the weight of responsibility for protecting the country and we have a chickenshit Congress that leaves him in the position of acting alone. I don’t fault him for that, I fault Congress including a bunch of the Dems. You take things as you find them and he has a Congress that slithered out of town rather than take a vote.

18. 60 carolyn
    September 23, 2014 at 10:36 pm

That picture of the President, SOS Kerry, Adviser Rice, and Ambassador Power at the table with the Arab country reps is a historic one. How many ever thought they would see the Arab leaders at a table with our leaders? Not I, in my life time. THIS is what LOD, RM, etc should be concentrating on…….and France working with us, when they absolutely refused GWB, correctly as we know…….How petty are these people.

• 61 FoxfireTX
      September 23, 2014 at 11:36 pm

I was thinking the same thing the other day, Carolyn. The world literally is shifting beneath our feet. Think about it. Who would have ever guessed even four years ago that meetings between the US and Iran would become somewhat commonplace and out in the open. Recall one year ago when it was the first meeting between Kerry and the Iranians at the UN. And the Saudis and Iran are forging a new relationship. Then there’s Afghanistan and Yemen. And did you notice who is missing from all of these worldwide developments? Bibbi and Putin remain in the 20th century while the rest of the world moves on in the 21st century. While they desperately grasp for power, their support continues to erode. Having come this far, I am cautiously optimistic over a nuclear resolution with respect to Iran. After these last two sessions at the UN, it’s hard to imagine that Iran is going to want to go back to being an outcast.

• 62 HZ
      September 23, 2014 at 11:48 pm

Carolyn, I am lying here with much pain, but even through the pain in my physical body; I saw and felt with much gratefulness the ability to cry not from the pain but from exactly the same visual that you saw at that table. (We are such a connected TOD family.) I looked down the line and started with SOS Kerry, National Security Adviser Susan Rice, Ambassador Samantha Power and PBO, and I just wept.

I gave thanks in my heart for the beautiful moment, and to be alive and see all of these elements sitting at that table. Thinking of all of the hard work and brilliance of all those minds being able to bring these leaders together at this time in our history is a moment in history that we were able to see in our lifetime. I took several mental photos in my mind to give thanks that PBO is our President and having SOS Kerry sitting there; it all raises the mind to say, “Pinch me, I am so grateful to be alive during the presidency of PBO.” This photo should have been an opening one for the cable noise makers tonight.

PBO will be fine, and we will be fine. Thank you, my Chips for this reliable and respectful place that you have created for all of us to keep our minds from running on the insane lanes. And a Big thank you to Nerdy W., for bringing the events together to the TOD family in such a beautiful and bold state of respect for our president and his amazing team. I give thanks for each of them, and for the men and women who are risking their lives for our national security and safety. We will never know them by name, but we can always give them respect for taking their missions and calling from their CIC with seriousness and respectfulness of their professionals. I am grateful for them tonight.HZ

19. September 23, 2014 at 10:43 pm

20. 72 arapaho415
    September 23, 2014 at 11:35 pm

For some reason, MSM tweeted about NV today.

On the GOP side:

On the Dem side:

21. September 23, 2014 at 11:38 pm

NW you slayed this post…….thanks for putting this together.

O/T did you watch the HBO ‘On The Run’ Hova/B show? It was probably the best packaged concert I’ve seen on T.V in a long time… The graphics & sound quality was exquisite.

September 23, 2014 at 11:42 pm

I just love that smile on the face of Secretary Kerry, as he looks on and listens to President Obama. They’ve Got This!

23. September 23, 2014 at 11:44 pm

24. September 23, 2014 at 11:46 pm

Let me push my luck again……thought 3 tweets would avoid moderation…….WP has a personal vendetta against me & Bob 😥

25. September 23, 2014 at 11:49 pm

AMK… our peeps are moving up in the world!!!

26. 79 arapaho415
    September 23, 2014 at 11:50 pm

Behind WSJ’s paywall, but you can view article by entering WSJ headline into Google.

Wind capture would happen outside Cheyenne WY (was only there once, in Aug/Sep and the wind was quite chilly and blowing hard in the late afternoon — except for Santa Anas that blow continuously, CA winds tend to die down in the late afternoon/evening).

27. 80 FoxfireTX
    September 23, 2014 at 11:51 pm

Thanks NW for these lovely photos! Made my day. Trying to get caught up here. So happy that aid is coming to the folks in Kobane. Hope that additional strikes allow them to return home. As to the MSM, I have completely given up on MSNBC. When home I’ve had either CNN or AJA on. Both are better on the facts than MSNBC. They’ve really gone over the line with these strikes.

PBO looks more relaxed than he has in awhile. I suspect once the decision was made and they got the support from the Arab coalition it is easier to put his foot to pedal and do what he needs to do. Conversely, poor Sec Kerry looks like he needs some time off. He’s put on way too many miles in a very short period of time. So thrilled that he received the rewards with the Arab support for all of his work. Very proud and thrilled with our team.

On a side note, as you know from my sig I live in TX, and for the most part hate it. I am MN born and bred, and most of the time feel like I am in a different country. As the Grassroots Field Directory for the Obama campaign in my county in 2008, learned first hand just how much racism still exists in the South. It was shocking to me. But I laughed out loud tonight. On my home from an agility class, I pass a strip joint that always has crazy things on its signage. Tonight the sign read: “ISIS Can Kiss Our Ass!” At least for a short period of time, PBO apparently has support even here that I never dreamed he would have:-)

28. 82 FoxfireTX
    September 23, 2014 at 11:52 pm

Those Saudi pilots sure look proud of themselves! I read somewhere this is the first time the Saudis have flown in a combat role since 1991, probably before some of these kids were born.

29. September 24, 2014 at 12:32 am

Goodnight TOD. Big hugs and sweet dreams all around. The future is exciting! Stay present, stay focussed, turn off your teevee. Smile! 🙂

30. September 24, 2014 at 2:38 am

good night TOD

31. September 24, 2014 at 7:23 am

Nerdy Wonka….there are not enough Thanks….that I can give you for this Superlative thread….So very very thankful….

@POTUS