Mar

Rise and Shine: The First Lady in Cambodia

First Lady Michelle Obama visiting a school in Siem Reap province, Cambodia

VOA: Michelle Obama Meets With Cambodian Students

U.S. first lady Michelle Obama is in Cambodia where she spoke Saturday at a Peace Corps training event in the city of Siem Reap, home to Cambodia’s famed Angkor Wat temple complex. The visit is part of a two-nation trip meant to highlight a new global women’s education initiative.

Obama thanked the Peace Corps volunteers for the work that they are doing to educate and empower girls in Cambodia.ย  She called the volunteers the “living, breathing” embodiment of what her program, “Let Girls Learn,” is all about.

Earlier in the day, Obama met with a group of girls at a school on the outskirts of the city.

Accompanied by Bun Rany, the wife of Cambodia’s prime minister Hun Sen, Obama told the schoolgirls to stay in school and take advantage of their education to demand greater freedoms in their impoverished country.

“Let girls learn’ is about giving girls like you here, all the girls who are here, giving you a voice in your communities and in your country,” she said.

The trip is the first time that the wife of a sitting U.S. president has visited the Southeast Asian country.

More here

First Lady Michelle Obama and Bun Rany, the first lady of Cambodia, arrive to meet with students at a high school on the outskirts of Siem Reap, Cambodia

First Lady Michelle Obama hugs students at a local high school that she visited with Bun Rany, the first lady of Cambodia, on the outskirts of Siem Reap, Cambodia. Mrs Obama is in Cambodia to promote the education initiative “Let Girls Learn,” which was launched to lift barriers that block more than 62 million girls around the world from attending school

First Lady Michelle Obama listens as students share their life stories with her at a high school on the outskirts of Siem Reap, Cambodia

First Lady Michelle Obama holds a round table discussion with Peace Corps volunteers in Siem Reap, Cambodia

ย First Lady Michelle Obama hugs a U.S. Peace Corp volunteer as she leaves the Sofitel Hotel in Siem Reap, Cambodia

First Lady Michelle Obama takes a tour of Cambodia’s famed Angkor Wat temple complex

@FLOTUS: No better way to cap our journey to Cambodia than with a visit to the beautiful and historic temple of Angkor Wat.

The President’s Weekly Address

MoooOOOooorning!

117 Responses to “Rise and Shine: The First Lady in Cambodia”

March 21, 2015 at 9:43 am

FURST

2. March 21, 2015 at 9:46 am

Good Saturday, Chipsticksโ€ฆTODers

Have a lot of catching up to do. [sigh]

3. March 21, 2015 at 9:46 am

4. 10 Nerdy Wonka
    March 21, 2015 at 10:00 am

Oh, Chips. You have knocked me over this morning. Thank you, thank you!

First Lady Michelle Obama – SLAY! SLAY! SLAY! GAHTDAMN!!!!!

5. 36 0388jojothecat
    March 21, 2015 at 10:02 am

I love everything she wears…..but I really really really really love this outfit.

• 37 Obama Grandmama
      March 21, 2015 at 1:54 pm

I usually love what Michelle wears but I do not like that black dot placement on the top of the dress. A major goof on the part of the designer. You can tell I am an avid watcher of Project Runway.

6. 38 Don
    March 21, 2015 at 10:14 am

Chips, thank you for what might be in my opinion your greatest rise and shine ever! The first lady is absolutely stunning. Viva la TOD!

• March 21, 2015 at 10:19 am

“thank you for what might be in my opinion your greatest rise and shine ever”

Don, are you showing some FLOTUS bias here? ๐Ÿ™‚ You are very welcome!!!!

7. March 21, 2015 at 10:17 am

Does anyone know who designed her dress? I just love all the stunning outfits she has been wearing this trip. They underline her bravery and confidence.

8. March 21, 2015 at 10:23 am

The scenes of interaction with the girls and Michelle Obama are so touching and inspiring. Her presence and words are making a difference in the world in the support of education for girls.

9. 43 MightyPamela
    March 21, 2015 at 10:26 am

โค

10. March 21, 2015 at 10:44 am

I was happily surprised yesterday to see that ABC Nightly News did an actual story on FLOTUS’ travels. They even had an actual reporter covering the trip and reported it in some detail. NBC, CBS, zilch.

On another note. I started a new job about a month ago with a very small franchise business. One of the reasons I took the position, is I really liked the owners. A married couple. However, yesterday I overheard him speaking with another office staff (there are only 3 of us) member about health insurance, which they do not offer. He explains Obamacare and repeatedly refers to it as SOCIALISM. It was all I could do to stay in my seat biting my tongue! I wanted to scream ‘Explain how Social Security works. Explain taxes!’ I do not understand how people do not get that the US is a capitalist/socialist economy. We have a progressive (or did) taxation system to provide for the greater good of all. Those who are currently working and pay SS tax are paying for the current retirees………socialism. I do not think they are of the tea party/religious variety, but it was a definite “UGH” moment for me.

• March 21, 2015 at 11:11 am

LB4Obama, Good for ABC, because I haven’t seen any of the other networks to even acknowledge that FLOTUS was visiting Japan and Cambodia.

• 47 Don
      March 21, 2015 at 11:13 am

LB4, I work with a bunch of people that think like the owners of the business that you work for. Mind you I work for the Federal Government, our health insurance and our retirement is backed by the Federal Government. I’m almost embarrassed to tell you how much I pay for health insurance for my wife and kid because it is so low. As far as retirement, presently I’m 48, I can retire at 53 with full benefits, and since I’m in law enforcement I’ll get even more benefits. My point is that all the people that I work with, not a single is so upset that they are willing to leave their Government backed health care and their Government back retirement and go work in the private sector. People like the owners that you work for talk big shit, but when its time to put their money where their mouth is they don’t. My advice to you is to ignore them.

11. 49 SUE DUVALL SMITH
    March 21, 2015 at 10:45 am

I LOVE MY ENERGIZER PBO…………………HOPE HE HAS A BEAUTIFULLY RELAXED AND WONDERFUL DAY WITH HIS GIRLS!!!!!!..:)

• March 21, 2015 at 11:07 am

Maybe POTUS, Grandma Robinson, Malia and Sasha will be able to go see Princeton girl basketball team play tomorrow, they will be in Maryland playing in the NCAA tournament. I’m not sure who Princeton is playing, but we know that FLOTUS and POTUS niece plays with Princeton. I think her name is Leslie Robinson.

• 51 Judith Fardig
        March 21, 2015 at 11:25 am

Anniebella, it’s Wisconsin-Green Bay first. I looked up some more info:

The President, admitting his bias, has Princeton — the alma mater of his wife, Michelle, and the team for which his niece Leslie Robinson plays — going to the Final Four, where the Tigers ultimately fall to UConn.

Princeton, unbeaten during the regular season, was given only an eighth seed by the NCAA women’s tournament committee.

The Tigers play Wisconsin-Green Bay in the opening round, then are likely to face Maryland, the top seed in the Spokane Regional.

Robinson averaged 3 points and 2.5 rebounds per game this season for the Tigers. She’s a 6-foot freshman from Corvallis, Oregon, and the daughter of former Princeton player and Oregon State head coach Craig Robinson (who works currently as an ESPN analyst). Michelle Obama is a 1985 graduate of Princeton.

Obama has UConn beating third-seeded Louisville in the Albany Regional final before meeting Princeton. The president has Princeton beating Oregon State in the Spokane Regional final.

In 2014, Obama picked eventual national champ UConn to win it all, and finished in the 98.5th percentile of all entries.

• 52 MightyPamela
        March 21, 2015 at 12:07 pm

I thought the girls were with the First Lady.

12. 53 Judith Fardig
    March 21, 2015 at 11:11 am

Congrats, AMK, and thanks, Chips, for the absolutely beautiful First Lady Michelle Obama travelogue. She looks like a 3-D painting come to glorious, warm life. Her outfits, especially the stunner at the top, show such cultural understanding in a unique and modern way. Of course, she could wear burlap and look beautiful because of her inner glow. Happy Saturday, TOD!

March 21, 2015 at 11:25 am

14. March 21, 2015 at 11:27 am

This should be interesting:

Barcelona (AFP) – Europe’s top leagues could launch legal action against FIFA over the decision to move the 2022 Qatar World Cup to later in the year, according to French league president Frederic Thiriez.

At a meeting in Barcelona on Saturday, the European Professional Football Leagues (EPFL) adopted a resolution slamming the decision to move the competition from its traditional dates in June and July to November and December in order to combat the searing heat in the Middle East.

“The EPFL is ready to support any legal actions that the individual leagues may take in this respect in the near future,” said Thiriez.

Of course, that troll Sepp will just call the Europeans “racist”.

15. March 21, 2015 at 11:40 am

Er noez, Michelle wore black leggings and white sneakers to tour Angkor Wat! Disrespecting her office!!11!!1!!1

16. March 21, 2015 at 11:40 am

Oooooooh, another try for Ireland: Scotland 10, Ireland 30!1!1!1!

17. March 21, 2015 at 11:42 am

just clicked through all the various pages of c.n.n.’s site right now. cannot find one single mention of first lady obama’s historic trip. nothing at all of the trip and then of course the initiative she’s promoting for educating girls. instead, right on the homepage is basically an ad for olive garden dressed up as “news,” and a bunch of republican critiques of democrats, especially of our president, filling up the site on all the various pages.

this is supposedly a “news” organization. if laura bush would’ve done something like this, it would be a primetime 5-part series on multiple networks.

March 21, 2015 at 11:43 am

Greetings!

19. 77 Nena20409
    March 21, 2015 at 11:44 am

Wow….Chips and TOD……wow…..what a Glorious Outfit by the FLOTUS. No wonder Don and Amk…..Furst TOD Gold Medalist on this post….. are Happier TODers this AM ๐Ÿ˜‰ Congrats Amk on your Au โญ
    Lovely post, Lady Chips. Thank you.
    Yes, ABC did an OK job reporting on FLOTUS last evening…..
    Happy Sunny Saturday from MN ๐Ÿ™‚

20. 78 Nena20409
    March 21, 2015 at 11:46 am

And then, there is this.

21. 80 Nena20409
    March 21, 2015 at 11:48 am

I saw this last night and it touched my heart.

22. March 21, 2015 at 11:53 am

New followers in the last couple of days:

Disneyland
    SFPD
    Hakeem Lyon
    Robert Thurman

Not sure what to make of thatโ€ฆโ€ฆ!!

23. 88 sherijr
    March 21, 2015 at 11:54 am

FLOTUS would be the woman that I would love to see as our First Woman POTUS… too bad she doesn’t have political aspirations.

24. March 21, 2015 at 11:56 am

March 21, 2015 at 12:00 pm

Mornin’, Chips and TODville. Happy weekend!

I think using #MillenialDisbelief as a hashtag with many of these reports is a potentially powerful tool.

26. March 21, 2015 at 12:00 pm

27. March 21, 2015 at 12:02 pm

GOOOOOOOOOOOO TIGERS!!

28. 106 Nena20409
    March 21, 2015 at 12:04 pm

So Twitter is 9 yrs today ๐Ÿ˜‰
    No wonder Meerkat is gearing for an over throw ๐Ÿ™‚
    Is Meerkat owned by Twitter?

29. March 21, 2015 at 12:06 pm

Try!!!!!!!!!!! Ireland 38, Scotland 10!!!!!!!

30. March 21, 2015 at 12:17 pm

๐Ÿ˜•

31. March 21, 2015 at 12:17 pm

32. March 21, 2015 at 12:25 pm

33. 115 yardarm756
    March 21, 2015 at 12:30 pm

Princeton is kicking some butt…..60 to 52.

34. 116 Barbara Ford
    March 24, 2015 at 5:03 pm

The picture of Mrs. Obama hugging the Peace Corps volunteer is much appreciated. The volunteer is my son Joel who has served far from home for almost two years. Mother to mother, I thank you for giving my son a “mother hug” from his “mother land”.

• March 24, 2015 at 5:48 pm

Ah Barbara, so lovely to hear from you, what a beautiful comment about your wonderful son and the First Lady – wishing him an exceptional life! Thank you.

@POTUS