Jul

The President’s Saturday In Kenya

President Barack Obama smiles as he arrives to deliver a speech at the Global Entrepreneurship Summit at the United Nations Compound, Saturday, July 25, 2015, in Nairobi. Obama's visit to Kenya is focused on trade and economic issues, as well as security and counterterrorism cooperation.  (AP Photo/Evan Vucci)

President Barack Obama smiles as he arrives to deliver a speech at the Global Entrepreneurship Summit at the United Nations Compound in Nairobi. President Obama’s visit to Kenya is focused on trade and economic issues, as well as security and counterterrorism cooperation

President Barack Obama delivers a speech at the Global Entrepreneurship Summit at the United Nations Compound, Saturday, July 25, 2015, in Nairobi. Obama's visit to Kenya is focused on trade and economic issues, as well as security and counterterrorism cooperation.  (AP Photo/Evan Vucci)

U.S. President Barack Obama (L) and Kenya's President Uhuru Kenyatta (R) take part in a roundtable with young businesspeople at the Global Entrepreneurship Summit at the United Nations compound in Nairobi, Kenya July 25, 2015. Obama told African entrepreneurs in Kenya on Saturday they could help counter violent ideologies and drive growth in Africa, and said governments had to help by ensuring the rule of law was upheld and by tackling corruption. REUTERS/Jonathan Ernst

President Barack Obama and Kenya’s President Uhuru Kenyatta take part in a roundtable with young businesspeople at the Global Entrepreneurship Summit

U.S. President Barack Obama delivers remarks at the Global Entrepreneurship Summit at the United Nations compound in Nairobi, Kenya July 25, 2015. Obama told African entrepreneurs in Kenya on Saturday they could help counter violent ideologies and drive growth in Africa, and said governments had to help by ensuring the rule of law was upheld and by tackling corruption. REUTERS/Jonathan Ernst

President Barack Obama delivers remarks at the Global Entrepreneurship Summit. He told African entrepreneurs in Kenya on Saturday they could help counter violent ideologies and drive growth in Africa, and said governments had to help by ensuring the rule of law was upheld and by tackling corruption

20150725-635734218869331910w

President Barack Obama, left, takes part in a panel discussion at the Global Entrepreneurship Summit at the United Nations Compound. Saturday, July 25, 2015, in Nairobi. Obama's visit to Kenya is focused on trade and economic issues, as well as security and counterterrorism cooperation.  (AP Photo/Evan Vucci)

President Barack Obama pauses before delivering a speech at the Global Entrepreneurship Summit at the United Nations Compound, Saturday, July 25, 2015, in Nairobi. Obama's visit to Kenya is focused on trade and economic issues, as well as security and counterterrorism cooperation.  (AP Photo/Evan Vucci)

20150725-635734303035345379w

20150725-635734213299075617w

U.S. President Barack Obama (L) and Kenya's President Uhuru Kenyatta (R) depart the stage after speaking at the Global Entrepreneurship Summit at the United Nations compound in Nairobi July 25, 2015. Obama told African entrepreneurs in Kenya on Saturday they could help counter violent ideologies and drive growth in Africa, and said governments had to help by ensuring the rule of law was upheld and by tackling corruption. REUTERS/Jonathan Ernst

President Barack Obama looks at a mobile payment platform and solar exhibit during the Power Africa Innovation Fair, Saturday, July 25, 2015, in Nairobi. Obama's visit to Kenya is focused on trade and economic issues, as well as security and counterterrorism cooperation.  (AP Photo/Evan Vucci)

President Barack Obama, left, looks at a solar powered lamp during a tour of the Power Africa Innovation Fair, Saturday, July 25, 2015, in Nairobi. Obama's visit to Kenya is focused on trade and economic issues, as well as security and counterterrorism cooperation.  (AP Photo/Evan Vucci)

President Barack Obama participates in a wreath laying ceremony, Saturday, July 25, 2015, in Nairobi, at Memorial Park in honor of the victims of the deadly 1998 bombing at the U.S. Embassy.  Obama's visit to Kenya is focused on trade and economic issues, as well as security and counterterrorism cooperation.  (AP Photo/Evan Vucci)

President Barack Obama participates in a wreath laying ceremony in Nairobi, at Memorial Park in honor of the victims of the deadly 1998 bombing at the U.S. Embassy

President Barack Obama reflects as he participates in a wreath laying ceremony, Saturday, July 25, 2015, in Nairobi, at Memorial Park in honor of the victims of the deadly 1998 bombing at the U.S. Embassy.  Obama's visit to Kenya is focused on trade and economic issues, as well as security and counterterrorism cooperation.  (AP Photo/Evan Vucci)

President Barack Obama inspects the honor guard after arriving to meet with Kenya's President Uhuru Kenyatta at State House in Nairobi, Kenya Saturday, July 25, 2015.  Obama heralded Africa as a continent "on the move" while visiting Kenya Saturday, the East African nation where he has deep family ties.(AP Photo/Ben Curtis)

President Barack Obama inspects the honor guard after arriving to meet with Kenya’s President Uhuru Kenyatta at the State House

REFILE - REMOVING EXTRA WORDS U.S. President Barack Obama (L) takes part in a reception ceremony next to Kenya's President Uhuru Kenyatta (R) as he visits the State House in Kenya's capital Nairobi, July 25, 2015. Obama told African entrepreneurs in Kenya on Saturday they could help counter violent ideologies and drive growth in Africa, and said governments had to assist by ensuring the rule of law was upheld and by tackling corruption.  REUTERS/Thomas Mukoya

U.S. President Barack Obama (L) shake hands with Kenya's Chief of Defence Forces Samson Mwathathe (R), next to Kenya's President Uhuru Kenyatta (2nd R), as he arrives to visit at the State House in Kenya's capital Nairobi, July 25, 2015. REUTERS/Thomas Mukoya

President Barack Obama shake hands with Kenya’s Chief of Defence Forces Samson Mwathathe

U.S. President Barack Obama inspects the honor guard after arriving to meet with Kenya's President Uhuru Kenyatta at State House in Nairobi, Kenya, Saturday, July 25, 2015. U.S. President Obama heralded Africa as a continent "on the move", as he visits Kenya  Saturday, the East African nation where he has deep family ties. (AP Photo/Ben Curtis)

U.S. President Barack Obama is greeted by Kenya's President Uhuru Kenyatta, right, on his arrival at State House in Nairobi, Kenya, Saturday, July 25, 2015. U.S. President Obama heralded Africa as a continent "on the move", as he visits Kenya  Saturday, the East African nation where he has deep family ties.(AP Photo/Ben Curtis)

U.S. President Barack Obama (L) meets Kenya's President Uhuru Kenyatta (R) as he arrives for a visit at the State House in Kenya's capital Nairobi, July 25, 2015. REUTERS/Thomas Mukoya

U.S. President Barack Obama, left, stands next to Kenya's President Uhuru Kenyatta, 2nd left, as the Kenya Air Force military band passes by, at State House in Nairobi, Kenya Saturday, July 25, 2015.  Obama heralded Africa as a continent "on the move" while visiting Kenya Saturday, the East African nation where he has deep family ties. (AP Photo/Ben Curtis)

U.S. President Barack Obama reviews a Kenya Defence Forces honour guard during a visit to the State House in Kenya's capital Nairobi, July 25, 2015. Obama told African entrepreneurs in Kenya on Saturday they could help counter violent ideologies and drive growth in Africa, and said governments had to assist by ensuring the rule of law was upheld and by tackling corruption. REUTERS/Thomas Mukoya

President Barack Obama is escorted into a bilateral meeting by Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta at the State House, on Saturday, July 25, 2015, in Nairobi. Obama's visit to Kenya is focused on trade and economic issues, as well as security and counterterrorism cooperation.  (AP Photo/Evan Vucci)

President Barack Obama arrives for a bilateral meeting with Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta at State House, on Saturday, July 25, 2015, in Nairobi, Kenya. Obama's visit to Kenya is focused on trade and economic issues, as well as security and counterterrorism cooperation.  (AP Photo/Evan Vucci)

CKw7cM_UkAAhwTa

20150725-635734422250938782w

President Barack Obama and President Uhuru Kenyatta participate in a joint press conference

U.S. President Barack Obama answers questions from the media, after meeting with Kenya's President Uhuru Kenyatta, at State House in Nairobi, Kenya Saturday, July 25, 2015.  Obama heralded Africa as a continent "on the move", as he visits Kenya  Saturday, the East African nation where he has deep family ties. (AP Photo/Ben Curtis)

20150725-635734426295056858w

20150725-635734429799886391w

20150725-635734432506937038w

U.S. President Barack Obama makes a joke while answering a question from the media about the dinner he had with his Kenyan relatives, after meeting with Kenya's President Uhuru Kenyatta, at State House in Nairobi, Kenya Saturday, July 25, 2015. Obama heralded Africa as a continent "on the move", as he visits Kenya  Saturday, the East African nation where he has deep family ties. (AP Photo/Ben Curtis)

127 Responses to “The President’s Saturday In Kenya”

1. 1 COS
    July 25, 2015 at 3:00 pm

Quite a day.

2. 5 MightyPamela
    July 25, 2015 at 3:01 pm

❀

3. 6 MightyPamela
    July 25, 2015 at 3:03 pm

To see Ambassador Rice beside our President in these most significant moments, hours and days, brings with it a tremendous sense of ‘all is well’. Her ability to be present, to stand strong with him, gives a sense of peace and reassurance.

4. July 25, 2015 at 3:34 pm

TOD, as usual, brings us the information that nobody in the MSM provides regarding our President.

5. July 25, 2015 at 3:38 pm

Fantastic thread as usual NW. Thank you!

6. July 25, 2015 at 3:39 pm

7. 32 Niliathiel
    July 25, 2015 at 3:41 pm

Hello our there, hope everyone is having a good weekend. πŸ™‚

Just a general question out of curiosity. Chips, Nerdy and the others posting here, where do you guys get the materia, images etc, from? Do you jsut surf the net and credit or do you have a set number of websites and blogs that you use for post compilations?

8. July 25, 2015 at 3:44 pm

Back from the movies.

Went to see Pixel.

Peanut loved it. And, I liked it. wasn’t a bad way to spend some time in an air-conditioned place. It was funny to me.

9. July 25, 2015 at 3:51 pm

Always a bit skeptical about surveys…but it is interesting to see the results

10. July 25, 2015 at 4:02 pm

this was an interesting article. of course, the right-wing doesn’t think America could learn anything from other countries

…………………..

Living in Switzerland ruined me for America and its lousy work culture

by Chantal Panozzo on July 21, 2015

I was halfway through a job interview when I realized I was wrinkling my nose. I couldn’t help myself. A full-time freelance position with a long commute, no benefits, and a quarter of my old pay was the best they could do? I couldn’t hide how I felt about that, and the 25-year-old conducting the interview noticed.

“Are you interested in permanent jobs instead?” she asked.

“I could consider a permanent job if it was part-time,” I said.

She looked at me like I was speaking a foreign language and went right back to her pitch: long commute, full-time, no benefits. No way, I thought. Who would want to do that? And then it hit me: Either I had become a completely privileged jerk or my own country was not as amazing as I had once thought it to be. This wasn’t an unusually bad offer: It was just American Reality.

Now that I’m back, I’m angry that my own country isn’t providing more for its people

Before I moved to Switzerland for almost a decade, American Reality was all I knew. I was living in a two-bedroom apartment making $30,000 a year in a job where I worked almost seven days a week with no overtime pay and received 10 days of paid time off a year.

In other words, for the hours worked, I was making minimum wage, if that. The glamour of this job was supposed to make up for the hours, but in reality, working every weekend is a ticket to burnout β€” not success.

My husband and I were so accustomed to American Reality that when he was offered an opportunity to work in Switzerland, we both thought about travel and adventure β€” not about improving our quality of life. It hadn’t occurred to us that we could improve our quality of life simply by moving.

But without realizing it, or even asking for it, a better life quality came to us. And this is why, now that I’m back, I’m angry that my own country isn’t providing more for its people. I will never regret living abroad. It taught me to understand another culture. And it taught me to see my own. But it also taught me something else β€” to lose touch with the American version of reality.

Here are seven ways living abroad made it hard to return to American life.

11. July 25, 2015 at 4:11 pm
    July 25, 2015 at 4:31 pm

The third video clip in this article (only 3:06 mins – about Tom Mboya) contains a short anecdote that tells us something we already know about PBO – he makes it his business to know history and he has a ‘human’ touch. He also has a phenomenal memory, I think.

13. 40 Gazelle
    July 25, 2015 at 5:01 pm

NW, thank you so much for this post, and all the others. This goes for Chips too, you super cheesy puffs, Mama Danny! There is no other place I’d go to for such magnificent coverage of PBO! I was so hoping to watch the press conference, and all the other delightful bounty you’ve provided. PBO just makes my day richer, every single time! I loved the young people who are such magnificent innovators. πŸ™‚

14. 42 Nena20409
    July 25, 2015 at 5:06 pm

Hello TOD, Good Afternoon, Good Evening, Good Night, Good Morning and Good Day to all Applicable TODville Globe Community.
    Congrats COS on your Au ⭐
    Congrats to all the Gold ⭐ winners several posts back.
    Now finally back from running errands…….now ready to catch up.

15. 43 Nena20409
    July 25, 2015 at 5:32 pm

16. July 25, 2015 at 5:32 pm

πŸ™‚

Thanks a traaaaaaazilion Nerdy!!

17. 58 Nena20409
    July 25, 2015 at 5:32 pm

18. 59 Nena20409
    July 25, 2015 at 5:33 pm

19. 60 Nena20409
    July 25, 2015 at 5:34 pm

20. July 25, 2015 at 6:07 pm

21. July 25, 2015 at 6:10 pm

Allllllllright Now!!

22. July 25, 2015 at 6:13 pm

In the years ahead people in America and throughout the globe will wonder with awe and gladness that such a person as Barack Obama rose up in our midst and lifted humankind to live up to its potential, to heal the divisions, and to realize our oneness and belonging in one another and the Spirit Life that holds us. There is a prophecy made in the 19th century by Black Elk, an Oglala Sioux medicine man, in a vision he had at the age of 9, before the European white people had come to his land: “….. for I was seeing in a sacred manner the shapes of all things in the Spirit, and shape of all shapes as they must live together in One Being. And I saw that the sacred hoop of my people was one of many hoops that made one Circle, wide as daylight and as starlight, and in the center grew one mighty flowering tree to shelter all the children of one mother and one father. And I saw that it was holy.” I believe that our President is such a prophet of our time, here to remind us of this truth, and point the way forward.

• July 25, 2015 at 6:15 pm

@@@@@@@@

Wow

• 91 MightyPamela
      July 25, 2015 at 6:20 pm

❀ BillR ❀

• July 25, 2015 at 6:35 pm

Love this. If you have a human heart that is beating, President Obama is a most exalted guide. He has a balanced body, mind and spirit and his compassion and humanity are overflowing. He exudes what it is to be fully in this world. I know he is blessed but I see we are blessed, too.

23. 94 Nerdy Wonka
    July 25, 2015 at 6:15 pm

Someone’s got moves and jokes. πŸ˜€

24. 98 Nerdy Wonka
    July 25, 2015 at 6:28 pm

Okay, President Obama. You need to complete this epic coolness by rapping then dropping the mic. πŸ˜€

July 25, 2015 at 6:31 pm

26. 103 CEB
    July 25, 2015 at 6:37 pm

I just love him in almost too many ways to count. Blessed is his name and blessed our we to be part of the Age of Obama.

July 25, 2015 at 6:37 pm

28. July 25, 2015 at 6:48 pm

Video of POTUS, reminds me of when my NOLA family gets together for a party/gathering.

We gonna be doing either The Electric Slide or The Wobble before the end of the night.

Actually, we’ll more than likely do both at some time in the night…lol.

29. 107 Roberta in MN
    July 25, 2015 at 6:54 pm

This is one excellent post Nerdy. Thank you so very much. Chips, Danny & his female friend looks like they have learned what it is to share. Woot!! Maybe they can teach the RWNJ that lesson. πŸ™‚

30. July 25, 2015 at 7:03 pm

Interesting ….

31. July 25, 2015 at 7:15 pm

Note the comments about Erdogan ….

I’ve expressed my concern as tersely as I can ….

Erdogan is nothing more than a 21st Century Ottoman despot ….

32. July 25, 2015 at 7:23 pm

July 25, 2015 at 7:26 pm

Just peeking my head in to say hello and thank you for the PBO in Africa:) Love all of it!!

My husband came home today from his work out of state….haven’t seen him in about 5 weeks or so….spending time chatting and catching up with him:) Will still poke my head in here…can’t keep me away:)

34. 121 Jeff
    July 25, 2015 at 7:28 pm

So the media is already going with the story that Sandra Bland’s death with a suicide. I’m not buying it.

35. 123 JER