Oct

ObamaCare + Women = Progress

Guttmacher-UninsuredWomen2014-490

Guttmacher Institute: Fewer U.S. Women Of Reproductive Age Were Uninsured In 2014

The percentage of women of reproductive age who were uninsured dropped sharply between 2013 and 2014, the first full year of implementation of the Affordable Care Act (ACA). The decrease among women aged 15–44, calculated by the Guttmacher Institute, mirrors broader national trends reported by the U.S. Census Bureau. This includes steeper drops in the uninsured rate in states that expanded Medicaid under the ACA compared with the rates in those states that did not. The proportion of reproductive-age women without health insurance declined by more than one-fifth between 2013 and 2014, from 17.9% to 13.9%. The change appears to have been driven primarily by gains in Medicaid coverage (from 17.2% to 20.2%). There was a small increase in the proportion of women with private health insurance, from 60.9% to 62.1%.

Gains in insurance coverage among reproductive-age women who live below the poverty line were substantial as well. The uninsured rate dropped by one-fifth, from 32.1% in 2013 to 25.6% in 2014. The gains in the proportion of women aged 15–44 who have insurance coverage has significant implications for access to health care in general, and to sexual and reproductive health care in particular. Medicaid has long offered a very robust package of sexual and reproductive health care services, including family planning services and supplies without out-of-pocket costs for enrollees. And the ACA has spurred significant improvements in private plans’ coverage; most notably, the contraceptive coverage guarantee ensures that privately insured women can access the full range of 18 Food and Drug Administration–approved contraceptive methods for women without out-of-pocket costs.

More here

154 Responses to “ObamaCare + Women = Progress”

1. 8 MightyPamela
    October 12, 2015 at 12:56 pm

Oh, I’ll just be third. 😉

October 12, 2015 at 12:57 pm

From the wise Dan Pfeiffer:

3. October 12, 2015 at 12:58 pm

4. 15 Obama Grandmama
    October 12, 2015 at 12:59 pm

To those who have been praying for me, thanks! I hope to be back on TOD now. I had my hip replacement surgery on Wednesday. I will update you with my latest skilled care medication problem later.

5. 26 Linda
    October 12, 2015 at 1:00 pm

Isn’t this interesting ?

CNN:

If Rep. Tulsi Gabbard needs a ticket to Tuesday night’s Democratic debate — Bernie Sanders has her covered.

That was the message of Sanders’ campaign manager on Monday, responding to a report that the Hawaii Democrat had been uninvited from attending the debate by the Democratic National Committee.

“If she needs a ticket, have her give me a call,” Jeff Weaver said on CNN’s “New Day” on Monday. “I think we have a couple; we can give her one.”

Maybe the DNC finally found out Tulsi has been secretly meeting with Rick Santorum, Lindsey Graham and John Barrasso to undermine PBO’s Syria plans.

Here is the proof that I sent to Nancy Pelosi back in July.

• 27 debz
      October 12, 2015 at 1:46 pm

Gabbard is as crazy as any republican. Rachel had her on the show as an alleged “foreign policy expert” and this fool actually said the administration is working with ISIS and al Qaeda. Of course, Rachel didn’t bother calling her on her Palinesque word salad.

• October 12, 2015 at 1:47 pm

She was on MSNBC last week (Maddow or Lawrence) making critical comments, albeit in a pleasant manner, of POTUS’s Syrian strategy or plans. She gave the impression of an expert in all Syrian affairs.

• 29 debz
        October 12, 2015 at 1:56 pm

That is the same Maddow show I’m talking about. The worst thing, Rachel asked her about Russia and she went on about Syria instead. talking nonsense.

• 30 susanne holland
      October 12, 2015 at 3:17 pm

Sad and shameful– she started running from PBO soon after being elected. Her father was a long-time rethug politico, and it seems she’s come home to roost.

• October 12, 2015 at 5:29 pm

WHY in the world is Tulsi Gabbard a Vice-Chair of the DNC??? What a lame idea of leadership we have!

6. October 12, 2015 at 1:14 pm

Bring this over because it makes me ROFLMAO…

October 12, 2015 at 1:15 pm

lunchtime; brb; wondering how much dannyo will be allowed to eat today

8. October 12, 2015 at 1:22 pm

9. 41 misspat
    October 12, 2015 at 1:31 pm

Good morning folks! Please, someone tell me how to get rid of the confederate flag waving, gun slinging folks that come on my twitter thread sending up my blood pressure. I hit unfollow but they seem to pop up again. I didn’t follow them so maybe that’s why they come back. I try to follow them then unfollow them right after, is that what I should do? Help! Please!.

• 42 Judith Fardig
      October 12, 2015 at 1:43 pm

You have to BLOCK them, not unfollow.

October 12, 2015 at 2:36 pm

Hi, MissPat. To the left of each person’s ‘FOLLOW’ button is a little wheel. If you click on that a list of options pops up and one of those is “Block”. So click on the person’s name; choose and click on the little wheel, then block him/her. You should get a small screen asking for confirmation. After you refresh the page (or maybe the next time you enter twitter – not sure which) you should be rid of the ones you blocked. Hope this helps.

10. 48 Judith Fardig
    October 12, 2015 at 1:33 pm

Back from my women’s weekend in Bend, refreshed from being with friends who have known each other since college. Glad we didn’t catch a bullet from any drunk hunters on our ten mile hike in the wilds of Central Oregon.

Even more relieved that President Obama was appreciated by the families of UCC and that the vaunted gun nut rally was a fizzle compared to what they expected. Many of them weren’t even Oregonians. The tide of public opinion is turning against the NRA and their minions, so they are increasingly desperate to intimidate us. We’ve had enough of their BS. It won’t work any longer. Now if Congress would just realize the cultural shift has happened…

• 49 pkayden
      October 12, 2015 at 1:44 pm

Perhaps Americans will vote for politicians who are serious about gun reform. Hope so.

• October 12, 2015 at 1:59 pm

After seeing the large crowds following both The Donald and Senator BS, I doubt.

It’s true that the American people had the good sense of electing this POTUS twice, something I will be grateful to them forever. Yet, sometimes I am amazed at other actions they take.

Yes, I’ll vote for BS against any Republican candidate. But to have an adrenaline rush at every one of his rallies? Nope. In fact, I am still vividly upset at his “encouraging” people to sit out the vote in 2012 because “POTUS” didn’t either fire or eliminate Wall Street, or the ACA didn’t include a single payer option (Ed Schultz joined him in that fight), or POTUS was too cozy with some other villain.

But because I am not a purist and will not behave like the 40 or so extremists that occupy the GOP-led Congress, I’ll vote for any Dem so that a rethug doesn’t claim the scalp of the government comes November 2016.

• October 12, 2015 at 2:06 pm

Judith, my surgery was on Wednesday so I missed the Obama visit to Roseburg. I was worried I would be embarrassed being an Oregonian with the protests I heard about. I thought maybe I was somewhat lucky to be offline and away from news. It sounds like it was mostly hype and that makes me glad “they” did not succeed.

• October 12, 2015 at 2:21 pm

OG, here is an article that touched me…

• 53 Judith Fardig
          October 12, 2015 at 4:56 pm

There was also a Facebook post from a Roseburg resident saying that most of the protesters were not from Roseburg or even Oregon. When residents who lined up to show their support for President Obama’s compassionate visit with the families, some of the haters told actual residents to go eff themselves.

The gun fetishist who started the Facebook event to embarrass President Obama and try to disrupt his compassionate visit has a criminal record. Runyan grew up in Ogemaw County, Michigan. In December 2004, Runyan was arrested in that county on charges of driving under the influence and felony assault (on his own mother and her boyfriend). He later pleaded guilty and served eight months in county jail.

I don’t see how he can pass a background check. He is a hideous person in every possible way.

11. October 12, 2015 at 1:51 pm

Now, take a look at how Obama defines leadership.
    My definition of leadership would be leading on climate change, an international accord that potentially we’ll get in Paris. My definition of leadership is mobilizing the entire world community to make sure that Iran doesn’t get a nuclear weapon. And with respect to the Middle East, we’ve got a 60-country coalition that isn’t suddenly lining up around Russia’s strategy. To the contrary, they are arguing that, in fact, that strategy will not work.
    In other words, demonstrating leadership means wielding power through the development of partnerships to achieve shared progress.

• 55 Judith Fardig
      October 12, 2015 at 2:08 pm

Hear hear! That’s why the world respects President Obama. Hillary, Bernie, and all the other Democrats currently running need to pay attention to this and grant President Obama credit.

12. October 12, 2015 at 2:00 pm

13. October 12, 2015 at 2:01 pm

14. October 12, 2015 at 2:07 pm

15. October 12, 2015 at 2:20 pm

Thank you soooooooooooo much Nerdy, you’re THE best!

16. October 12, 2015 at 2:23 pm

I know that there is a Retweet button. But why is Lindsey Graham who should be busy in the campaign trail tweeting for McCain?

17. October 12, 2015 at 2:32 pm

Lawsuits against gun sellers and makers were sharply restricted 10 years ago, when Congress passed a law giving the industry wide immunity from blame for the misuse of its products.

• 68 Linda
      October 12, 2015 at 2:38 pm

Good luck to him.

Parents of Daughter Killed by Mass Shooter Hit with $203,000 Fine for Lawsuit Against Ammo Company.

When Aurora, Colorado, assailant James Holmes open fire on a movie theater in 2012, he brutally murdered 12 people. One of the victims was 24-year-old Jessica Ghawi, an aspiring sports reporter.

Her parents moved forward with a lawsuit against Lucky Gunner, the online ammunition store that supplied Holmes with the ammo he used in the deadly shooting.

The judge dismissed the case on the grounds that online sellers have special immunity under the Federal Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act, in addition to a similar Colorado statute.

18. October 12, 2015 at 2:49 pm

I wish being a top neurosurgeon at John Hopkins could be a lifetime appointment and position.

19. 75 jackiegrumbacher
    October 12, 2015 at 2:52 pm

Hi all. So glad your ordeal is behind you, OG, and you can focus on recovery. I’m taking a quick peek at the world while the little one naps and then we go full speed ahead until bedtime, which is always a struggle. Daughter and SIL return this weekend, so we’ll be immersed until Sunday. I had utterly forgotten about the Dem debate, which is a good indication of how far out of it you can get in a short while. Thank God, I can check in–even for brief moments–and learn everything that’s important to know here at TOD. Miss you all.

20. October 12, 2015 at 3:00 pm

21. 82 Nena20409
    October 12, 2015 at 3:04 pm

Hello TOD.
    Party Cloudy, Windy and Cool Breeze. From 84F to well, down nearly 15F and counting. You’ve gotta ❤ MN 😉
    Congrats to all the Gold ⭐ winners since Sunday evening.
    Be Well {{{{{ ❤ Danny ❤ }}}}}
    Be Well {{{{ ❤ ObamaGrandMama ❤ }}}}

22. 83 Nena20409
    October 12, 2015 at 3:05 pm

23. 84 Vicki
    October 12, 2015 at 3:16 pm

Obamacare enrollment period opens soon. Nov. 1
    So, thank you Nerdy for the timely post.

I bet we see PBO talking about the ACA quite a bit in the next few weeks.

In other news, I am laughing at CNN who is displaying an extra podium for VPB just in case he shows up. CNN must be worried about the ratings being very low. A few weeks ago I guesstimated about 2 million and I will stick with my prediction.
    It is based on (D) October 2007 Debate which got 2.7 million. That’s With the electric charismatic Senator Obama.

2 million is a generous guesstimate
    GOP events were both over 23 million—-close to 50 million TVs turned on to see the show.

24. 94 Nena20409
    October 12, 2015 at 3:19 pm

My sentiments for years.
    Seeing is believing. The ‘Sanitization’ of Gun Violence by the News Media is culpable in the willful stupefy deniability by the public at large.

“They should have closed the chambers of Congress on the House and the Senate side, and said all you members go in there, only you, and spread out the autopsy photographs of those babies and [required] them to look at those photographs. And then vote your conscience,” Harris said.

“I support the Second Amendment, but this has become a zero-sum game,” she continued. “We need reasonable gun laws in this country that include background checks. It’s ridiculous that we don’t do it.”

25. October 12, 2015 at 3:33 pm

UH HUH
    UH HUH

Mayor’s office withholds records on school contract scandal

Mayor Rahm Emanuel’s office was more involved in a $20.5 million school contract with a now-indicted consultant than previously disclosed, public records indicate, but his administration has refused to release hundreds of emails that could provide a deeper understanding of how the deal came to be.

Emanuel and his aides have maintained that the mayor’s office had nothing to do with the contract to provide leadership training for principals that is at the center of a federal bribery indictment against ex-schools CEO Barbara Byrd-Bennett and the consulting firm where she once worked.

When asked in April if his administration had any role at all in the SUPES contract, Emanuel told reporters, “No, you obviously know that by all the information available. And so the answer to that is no.”

Yet the mayor’s office and schools officials have been in an ongoing struggle with the Tribune over reporters’ public records requests that could bear directly on the controversy, withholding many emails for months before releasing them, several so heavily redacted that little more than the subject line and addresses remain.

The Emanuel administration has declined to provide about half of the roughly 1,000 emails requested. As part of that fight, the Tribune in June sued the city under the state Freedom of Information Act after the mayor’s office redacted or withheld about two dozen emails emanating from Emanuel’s office.

While much of the picture remains missing, the email logs and documents the administration did release show frequent communication among key Emanuel aides, Chicago school leaders and the heads of the SUPES Academy consulting firm in the months, weeks and days leading up to Emanuel’s hand-picked school board awarding the contract in June 2013.

• 96 Don
      October 12, 2015 at 3:43 pm

Oh, emails, move along nothing to see here. It’s always something with certain people, or a group of certain people that used to work together. You know where I’m going with this. Does this shit ever end?

• 97 Don
      October 12, 2015 at 3:47 pm

It’s always something, the fucking one hand washing the other hand, nothing is never above board. Always with the side fucking deals or the secret deals. Somebody knows a guy that knows a guy. Do these fuckers ever get tired of the con?

26. October 12, 2015 at 4:09 pm

Well, well.

27. 99 JER
    October 12, 2015 at 4:10 pm

28. 108 Nena20409
    October 12, 2015 at 4:21 pm

• 109 donna dem 4 obama
      October 12, 2015 at 6:20 pm

This story is getting more and more interesting by the hour! I knew when I updated myself over the summer about this so called email scandal that the Republicans were going to overplay their hand in this made up scandal. They did and now the chickens are coming home to roost.

29. 110 Nena20409
    October 12, 2015 at 4:28 pm

Carly was Never going anywhere…….bit it was was interesting while it lasted……why? She started to believe she had a chance 😉

• October 12, 2015 at 5:00 pm

Nena, is it true?

This woman lies deliberately and with vigor. Sarah Palin lies by ignorance (and because she doesn’t speak English).

• 112 99ts
        October 12, 2015 at 6:22 pm

Palin does it deliberately as well – ignorance doesn’t excuse the hate she throws around with her lies

• 113 Nena20409
        October 12, 2015 at 7:09 pm

I don’t know NCLB to be perfectly candid. I hope so. I am keeping my fingers crossed. So far, of the 3-4 polls out lately, she is either 4 or 5th. On in NH did she come 2nd in a poll a few days ago.

30. 119 Nena20409
    October 12, 2015 at 4:53 pm

• 120 0388jojothecat
      October 12, 2015 at 5:23 pm

Alert Ben Carson….he said if evolution were true there would be “new” species…..here’s proof, evolution exists and is real science.

31. 121 Nena20409
    October 12, 2015 at 4:54 pm

32. 123 Nena20409
    October 12, 2015 at 4:58 pm

Had to come back to post this……wow.
    At the Game?

• 124 Dudette
      October 12, 2015 at 5:02 pm

Unbelievable how sick some people in this country have become

• 125 Dudette
        October 12, 2015 at 5:04 pm

Also too…

• 126 Dudette
        October 12, 2015 at 5:12 pm

• 127 cd4biden
          October 12, 2015 at 8:22 pm

They are all great, however here is the “Boom” one!

Here’s the tell: if the person screaming “mental health” also opposes Obamacare and the expansion of Medicaid, they’re 100% full of shit.

Thanks for the link Dudette. I love Propane Jane.

• 128 Dudette
      October 12, 2015 at 5:04 pm

• 129 0388jojothecat
        October 12, 2015 at 5:18 pm

I guess of the one and maybe only thing I disagreed with PBO with was allowing guns in Federal parks…..sigh.

• 130 0388jojothecat
          October 12, 2015 at 5:20 pm

Federal parks in states that have “open-carry laws” I might add. With Gov Brown signing this, this should prevent “open carry” in Federal parks in CA.

33. 131 Dudette
    October 12, 2015 at 5:05 pm

Jerry Brown is kicking ass over in California. Could someone please clone him and send one of the clones to Georgia?

• 132 Dudette
      October 12, 2015 at 5:07 pm

More from SuperGov!

• 133 GGail
      October 12, 2015 at 5:09 pm

Plus he signed bills yesterday that bans the name Redskins on anything in CA and also banned all Confederate items – no names, no statues, no nuthin!!!

Be Gone – Ha!