Jan

The President’s Day

President Barack Obama speaks at the United Auto Workers-General Motors Center for Human Resources, Wednesday, Jan. 20, 2016 in Detroit. While in Detroit the president is scheduled to visit the 2016 North American International Auto Show and speak of the progress made by the city, its people and neighborhoods, and the American auto industry. (AP Photo/Paul Sancya)

President Barack Obama gestures as he speaks at the UAW-GM Center for Human Resources in Detroit, Wednesday, Jan. 20, 2016, to highlight the progress made by the city, its people and neighborhoods, and the American auto industry. (AP Photo/Carolyn Kaster)

U.S. President Barack Obama reminisces about his first new car, a Jeep he purchase when he was 32, as he delivers remarks on the U.S. auto industry at the UAW-GM Center for Human Resources in Detroit, Michigan January 20, 2016. REUTERS/Jonathan Ernst

President Barack Obama speaks at the United Auto Workers-General Motors Center for Human Resources. While in Detroit the president visited the 2016 North American International Auto Show and speak of the progress made by the city, its people and neighborhoods, and the American auto industry

President Barack Obama is introduced by United Auto Workers Vice President Cindy Estrada at the UAW-General Motors Center for Human Resources, Wednesday, Jan. 20, 2016 in Detroit. While in Detroit the president is scheduled to visit the 2016 North American International Auto Show and speak of the progress made by the city, its people and neighborhoods, and the American auto industry. (AP Photo/Paul Sancya)

1024x1024

President Barack Obama greets people as he arrives to speak at the UAW-GM Center for Human Resources in Detroit, Wednesday, Jan. 20, 2016, to highlight the progress made by the city, its people and neighborhoods, and the American auto industry. (AP Photo/Carolyn Kaster)

U.S. President Barack Obama (in blue shirt, back to camera) greets people in the audience after his remarks on the U.S. auto industry at the United Auto Workers-General Motors (UAW-GM) Center for Human Resources in Detroit, Michigan January 20, 2016. REUTERS/Jonathan Ernst

President Barack Obama shakes hands as he arrives to speak at the UAW-GM Center for Human Resources in Detroit, Wednesday, Jan. 20, 2016, to highlight the progress made by the city, its people and neighborhoods, and the American auto industry. (AP Photo/Carolyn Kaster)

President Barack Obama smiles while speaking at the United Auto Workers-General Motors Center for Human Resources, Wednesday, Jan. 20, 2016 in Detroit. While in Detroit the president visited the 2016 North American International Auto Show and speak of the progress made by the city, its people and neighborhoods, and the American auto industry. (AP Photo/Paul Sancya)

1024x1024-3

President Obama sits in the 2017 Chevrolet Bolt EV, an all-electric vehicle with an estimated range of 200 miles on a single charge, while touring the North American International Auto Show in Detroit, Wednesday, Jan. 20, 2016. The man at left is unidentified. (Daniel Mears/Detroit News via AP, Pool)

President Obama looks over the Chrysler Pacifica minivan, with NAIAS chairman Paul Sabatini at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit, Wednesday, Jan. 20, 2016. (Daniel Mears/Detroit News via AP, Pool)

UAW President Dennis Williams, from left, President Barack Obama and North American International Auto Show (NAIAS) chairman Paul Sabatini talk during a tour of the NAIAS in Detroit, Wednesday, Jan. 20, 2016. (Daniel Mears/Detroit News via AP, Pool)

President Barack Obama stops at the Chrysler exhibit during visit to the 2016 North American International Auto Show in Detroit, Wednesday, Jan. 20, 2016, to highlight the progress made by the American auto industry. (AP Photo/Carolyn Kaster)

President Barack Obama stops by the Chrysler exhibit during his visit to the 2016 North American International Auto Show in Detroit, Wednesday, Jan. 20, 2016. With him, from left are, Mitch Clauw, Fiat Chrysler's vice president of vehicle engineering, Paul Sabatini, North American International Auto Show chairman, and Dennis Williams, president of the UAW. (AP Photo/Carolyn Kaster)

President Obama looks over the Chrysler Pacifica minivan, with NAIAS chairman Paul Sabatini, far left, and UAW President Dennis Williams at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit, Wednesday, Jan. 20, 2016. (Daniel Mears/Detroit News via AP, Pool)

U.S. President Barack Obama smiles as he sits in an all-electric Chevrolet Bolt at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit, Michigan January 20, 2016. REUTERS/Jonathan Ernst

President Barack Obama responds to a bystander after visiting retail store Shinola in Detroit, Wednesday, Jan. 20, 2016. Someone yelled out, "Did you buy a watch?" Obama said, "I already have one," and pointed to the watch on his wrist. (Daniel Mears/Detroit News via AP, Pool)

President Barack Obama responds to a bystander after visiting retail store Shinola. Someone yelled out, “Did you buy a watch?” Obama said, “I already have one,” and pointed to the watch on his wrist

As the snow falls, surprised onlookers try to see President Barack Obama as he visits retail store Shinola in Detroit, Wednesday, Jan. 20, 2016. (Daniel Mears/Detroit News via AP, Pool)

U.S. President Barack Obama (R) uses a credit card to buy an item at the Shinola watchmakers flagship store in Detroit, Michigan January 20, 2016. REUTERS/Jonathan Ernst

President Barack Obama buys an item at the Shinola watchmakers flagship store

President Barack Obama leaves Shinola, a domestic manufacturer of watches and other goods after a tour, Wednesday, Jan. 20, 2016, in Detroit. While in Detroit the president is scheduled to visit the 2016 North American International Auto Show and speak of the progress made by the city, its people and neighborhoods, and the American auto industry. (AP Photo/Carolyn Kaster)

President Barack Obama has lunch at the Jolly Pumpkin Brewery in Detroit, Wednesday, Jan. 20, 2016, with Teana Dowdell, autoworker at the General Motors’ Detroit-Hamtramck Assembly, left, Dr. Tolulope Sonuyi, Emergency medicine physician engaged with Detroit youth through violence prevention and intervention programs, part of Detroit’s efforts around the My Brother’s Keeper initiative, center, Detroit Mayor Mike Duggan, right, obscured, and Tom Kartsotis, Founder, Shinola. (AP Photo/Carolyn Kaster)

President Barack Obama has lunch at the Jolly Pumpkin Brewery with Teana Dowdell, autoworker at the General Motors’ Detroit-Hamtramck Assembly, Dr. Tolulope Sonuyi, Emergency medicine physician engaged with Detroit youth through violence prevention and intervention programs, part of Detroit’s efforts around the My Brother’s Keeper initiative,  Detroit Mayor Mike Duggan, and Tom Kartsotis, Founder, Shinola

1024x1024-1

President Barack Obama has lunch with Teana Dowdell, autoworker at the General Motors’ Detroit-Hamtramck Assembly, left, and Dr. Tolulope Sonuyi, Emergency medicine physician engaged with Detroit youth through violence prevention and intervention programs, part of Detroit’s efforts around the My Brother’s Keeper initiative, right, Wednesday, Jan. 20, 2016, at the Jolly Pumpkin Brewery in Detroit. While in Detroit the president is scheduled to visit the 2016 North American International Auto Show and speak of the progress made by the city, its people and neighborhoods, and the American auto industry. (AP Photo/Carolyn Kaster)

U.S. President Barack Obama (2nd L) sits down to lunch with autoworker Teana Dowdell (L), Dr. Tolulope Sonuyi (2nd R) and Shinola founder Tom Kartsotis at the Jolly Pumpkin Brewery in Detroit, Michigan, January 20, 2016. In Detroit, Obama will visit the North American International Auto Show and deliver remarks on the U.S. auto industry at the UAW-GM Center for Human Resources. REUTERS/Jonathan Ernst

144 Responses to “The President’s Day”

1. January 20, 2016 at 6:42 pm

• 5 SUEDUVALL SMITH
      January 20, 2016 at 6:49 pm

SP IS A CHEAP DATE WITH A HIGH PITCHED VOICE THAT COULD SPLIT MT. EVEREST…AND NOT IN A GOOD WAY! I HEARD THIS MORNING THAT SHE DID NOT GO OVER WELL…AND SUCH A LADY,,,HER LANGUAGE WAS HORRIBLE. BURN THE FLASHCARDS…GET THIS GIRL SOME HANDCUFFS AND A PADDED CELL.

• 6 SUEDUVALL SMITH
      January 20, 2016 at 6:51 pm

I DO BELIEVE THE PALINS ARE KNOWN FOR PUNCHING!..IT COMES WITH THE ALASKAN TERRITORY AND CHEWING BLUBBER!

• 10 amk for obama
      January 20, 2016 at 9:08 pm

egg.sack.lee the last one. typical rethug, blame your personal problems created solely by you on obama.

2. 11 SUEDUVALL SMITH
    January 20, 2016 at 6:45 pm

THANKS FOR THE LOVELY ASSORTMENT OF PIX NERDY….I LOVE THE ONES OF THE ENERGIZER BEHIND THE WHEEL DREAMING ABOUT RIPPING OPEN A HIGHWAY SOMEWHERE. HE IS SO LOOKING FORWARD TO DRIVING AGAIN…THAT 8 YEAR BUBBLE CAN BE MIGHTY TIRESOME…GIVE IT SOME GAS MR. PRESIDENT!

3. 12 SUEDUVALL SMITH
    January 20, 2016 at 6:55 pm

GOTTA GO..I HAVE A MEETING WITH MR. FLANNEL…TIME TO BUNDLE UP FOR ANOTHER ICEAGE EXPERIENCE. SOMEONE TELL FLOTUS TO LOAD UP ON BROCOLLI STALKS..I UNDERSTAND DC IS IN FOR A BLIZZARD THIS WEEKEND…I HOPE NOT HERE,,I HAVE A FRI. CHILI BASH AT MY NEW CHURCH AND A SATURDAY MEMORIAL SERVICE…..GOD BLESS MY PRESIDENT…THERE’S A NEW DRIVER IN TOWN!

4. January 20, 2016 at 6:59 pm

Thank you NW for this extraordinary post…beautiful photos…thanks

January 20, 2016 at 7:08 pm

PBO looks absolutely beside himself around those vehicles….like a kid in Disneyland….toys for big boys!

January 20, 2016 at 7:14 pm

No wonder MMFlint’s panties were all tied up in a bunch this afternoon – our President just looked too happy and the people around him even happier. Can’t have happiness when you’re MMFLint….must have 24/7 poutrage.

• January 20, 2016 at 7:17 pm

If I typed the words to describe Moore I would probably break the internet. I’ll just use one: SCUMBAG. There, I feel better.

• January 20, 2016 at 7:27 pm

left this earlier today, but his incompetence seems appropriate here too…

keep in mind, he’s saying this a month before the last presidential election, and of the most liberal president in any of our lifetimes. some “progressive!” really makes you wonder what his real motivation is…

January 20, 2016 at 7:54 pm

MMFlint did one good thing for the country. I can’t remember what it was.

Next!

• 35 catrst
      January 20, 2016 at 8:12 pm

The hopeful and appreciative tone of the President’s visit was wonderful. Flint is the GOP’s latest Katrina. The President has already declared a federal emergency. Snyder would probably just use the disaster funds for his own budget shortfalls anyway.

• 36 99ts
        January 20, 2016 at 9:31 pm

This is no Katrina – the latter was a natural disaster – this is a man made disaster, that was created to save $100 per day. Shame every person involved doesn’t have to personally pay to fix it – or drink the water from the Flint River.

The Gov & Michael Moore are trying to turn it into Katrina so they can blame the Federal Government – why Moore wants to excuse the GOP Governor & his city takeovers is beyond understanding.

7. January 20, 2016 at 7:20 pm

Bernie knows that as soon as people wake up from his economic fantasy world and face the real world’s social progress we have to protect, he’s toast. Panic mode is setting in.

• 38 nospin
      January 20, 2016 at 7:59 pm

I don’t think Bernie said anything controversial. This is like when then Barack Obama said “you are likable enough”. I watched the video and read his statements and I don’t see the big deal.

• January 20, 2016 at 8:06 pm

If trashed them calling them the “establishment”…and i do not think he meant that as a compliment…but i betcha he would have be ok if they had endorsed him

• 41 jackiegrumbacher
          January 20, 2016 at 9:23 pm

That’s exactly it, Pf. They didn’t endorse him and so he had a mini temper tantrum, which in and of itself makes him unfit to lead. BS is thin skinned and lashes out at those who don’t fall in line, just as many of his supporters do.

• 42 99ts
            January 20, 2016 at 9:32 pm

There’s a GOP nominee who trashes anyone who doesn’t support him – sad that Bernie wants to do the same.

• 43 nospin
          January 21, 2016 at 9:53 am

How is calling a group that has been around for a long time and calling them an establishment “trashing” them? Comes off as temper tantrums to me. It’s like my kids saying…Mooommmm, he is “looking” at me.

they need to come up with something better than that instead of whining that the boy is picking on the girls because he isn’t using they words they want him to use.

• 45 Vicki
        January 20, 2016 at 8:09 pm

with you, nospin
        the bernie hate isn’t smart

• January 20, 2016 at 8:13 pm

He’s earned every drop of it. What isn’t smart is giving him a pass time after time …. wanting to primary PBO, guns, #BlackLivesMatters, his comical promises, and now his hissy fit over Planned Parenthood. He’s pitiful.

• 47 jackiegrumbacher
            January 20, 2016 at 9:26 pm

It’s way past time that BS was called out. I’m so tired out hearing how tough and revolutionary he is. He’s all talk and no action, which makes him loud and noisy, but ineffective.

• January 20, 2016 at 9:35 pm

That’s been the definition of his career Jackie, all talk and no action. And then he had the neck to call for PBO to be primaried – if he achieved 1% of what PBO has done so far, he’d be a lucky man.

• 49 nospin
            January 21, 2016 at 10:08 am

I respectfully disagree Chips. This comes off as petulant whining. HRC also wanted to primary PBO, look at the folks she held up during the mid terms elections. Her words weren’t any better. and don’t even get me started at HRC’s response or lack of on the Black Lives Matter movement (Ferguson, Baltimore) and she of all people should have known better. HRC’s credentials are worse than Bernie’s. Why? Because at least Bernie has the fortitude to say what he thinks and stands behind it. HRC on the other hand has absolutely no moral compass and how anyone can pretend this is okay is beyond me. But to each their own.

I just want to say jumping on Bernie for nonsense isn’t helping to prove that HRC can handle her business. In fact it seems to insinuate that the woman isn’t ready to deal in the world lead by men and it is unfortunate.

I don’t see how anyone can take the expression “establishment” out of context when he was talking about the new grassroots movements that are being developed and comparing it to groups that have been around for a longer period of time and then walk away with the thought that he is trashing Planned Parenthood.

Now to be fair..how do I feel about Bernie? Indifferent. Because of the DNC we are stuck with the limited field we have and whatever happens they deserve it. I will vote for all dems downstream during the elections but for POTUS I will choose O’Malley and if he does not make it then Sanders. HRC can miss me with her coronation BS.

Do I expect Bernie to accomplish anything in his 4 years as POTUS? No Does it matter? No but I can wait it out. Then maybe the DNC will get off their asses and handle their business as they should have over the past years. As my deceased Caribbean mother used to say.. “who can’t hear, will feel”. They will figure it out.

But in the interim, it is not helpful to make a stink out of simple crap like the usage of the word “establishment”. It is weak and doesn’t help in fact, it will accomplish just the opposite. Just my 2 cents.

• 50 amk for obama
          January 20, 2016 at 9:01 pm

may be, but bernie himself doesn’t seem to be smart. he seems to be my way or high way kinda guy. you know who else was like that?

• 51 99ts
            January 20, 2016 at 9:33 pm

I think I said that above – in a slightly different way

• 52 nospin
            January 21, 2016 at 10:15 am

and amk, you would be exactly right in that assessment. If that was the tack folks choose to attack the man, then there would be validity in that approach.

Instead the focus is on his usage of the word “establishment” and because he did it has to mean that he is attacking PP or HRC or women…. bad bad idea. It will have the opposite effect. That just made me dig my heels in to vote for anyone but HRC regardless of the outcome. Coronation my *ss. Debbie Wasserman Shultz bet on the wrong horse. They are going to have to work their butts off for this win and it will take more than pointing a finger to say that the boy is picking on the girl to do it.

• January 21, 2016 at 7:03 pm

Hello nospin,

I’m a loyal TOD community member who only rarely joins in the awesome conversations that Chips, Amk, Nerdy Wonka, and so many other TOD community members have here at the only newsworthy site online (in my opinion). I hope that you will not be offended by my inviting myself into your discussion, but I have a concern about Bernie’s quest to head the Democratic Party and be the President of our nation. I lived in Boston and I get the New Hampshire/Vermont liberal attitude, and I do agree with many positions Bernie argues for in this campaign. I am black, female, 69, Democrat, and I volunteered for POTUS starting in 2007.

My #1 concern about Bernie’s campaign is that he wants to lead the Democratic Party, but he will not become a Democrat. He wants to continue to be a Democratic Socialist. I am uncomfortable with someone who is not a Democrat leading the party. #2 is that Bernie wants to reopen the discussion about single payer at a time when republicans control both houses of the government. The republicans want to destroy the ACA. During the year and half leading to the ACA, I volunteered 6 days a week, for 10 hours a day at the DNC Headquarters doing every possible thing with dozens of citizens like me working to pass a health care reform bill. We made over 8 million phone calls around the nation. If single payer had been possible, we would have it today, but getting healthcare for people who did not have it was so important. Finally, #3, I believe the reference to Planned Parenthood as “the establishment” was a subtle dog whistle to republicans who have tried to close the government rather than fund Planned Parenthood. You see, Bernie does not have a party behind him to hold his feet to the fire, he can choose to align with many different ideologues. This again causes me concern about the leadership of the Democratic Party by someone who is not committed to the Democratic Party platform.

Please, if Bernie does not win, Please, Please vote for whoever is the Democratic Nominee. We cannot afford to have any of the republican candidates take over with the republican congress. ALL of POTUS’ hard work will be overturned if a republican wins.

8. 54 JER
    January 20, 2016 at 7:29 pm

The President has arrived Andrews. Snow. 26°

LIVE NOW: The White House. http://www.cbsnews.com/liveFeed/widget.shtml

• 55 arapaho415
      January 20, 2016 at 8:49 pm

GE JER.

Gonna take awhile.

MSM prove that they live comfortable lives by the outpouring of whining tweets today about the weather. The whine-o-meter will be off the charts If the weather predictions come true for record-breaking blizzard later this week.😦

9. January 20, 2016 at 7:32 pm

AND THE WALLS ARE ALL COMING DOWN!!

• January 20, 2016 at 7:43 pm

We’re going to hear a lot more from Dem Senators and Congressional Reps, like Sen. McCaskill about not wanting to see those GOP ads with the hammer and sickle.

• 58 jackiegrumbacher
      January 20, 2016 at 9:30 pm

Good for Brown. A lot of Dems are getting fed up with BS. Now his loud fans will yell about ‘betrayal’ and tell us how there’s a secret, super duper way Bernie is going to sweep the primaries.

10. January 20, 2016 at 7:33 pm

He turned down the invitation!

• January 20, 2016 at 7:41 pm

Oh, yeah. I cried at my daughter’s graduation. Tried not to embarrass her.

• January 20, 2016 at 7:46 pm

As a college admin for many years, I’ve been to many graduation ceremonies and they are very emotional events. Knowing POTUS, he will have a VERY hard time keeping it together.

• 62 GGail
      January 20, 2016 at 8:50 pm

I cried at my daughter’s graduation from USC School of Medicine. It just came over me and I couldn’t help myself🙂

11. January 20, 2016 at 7:37 pm

January 20, 2016 at 7:44 pm

Thanks heaps, NerdyW! I’m always appreciative of your visual summaries of the President’s day. 🙂 🙂

January 20, 2016 at 7:48 pm

I looked at these pics of the President and thought well, doesn’t he look like A Happy Man, through and through? So, of course, my generation had a song for it. 🙂

14. 79 JER
    January 20, 2016 at 7:50 pm

15. 81 JER
    January 20, 2016 at 7:55 pm

16. January 20, 2016 at 8:12 pm

17. 86 sjterrid
    January 20, 2016 at 8:13 pm

Thank you so much, Nerdy, for these pictures and video from the President’s Day in Detroit!

January 20, 2016 at 8:19 pm

Get home safe, Mr. President.

19. January 20, 2016 at 8:34 pm

Here is something Pew Research recently reported about the legally resident foreign-born population:
    By 2013, most immigrants were from either Latin America or South or East Asia, a very different profile than that of immigrants in 1960 and 1970, who were mostly from Europe.

• 91 jackiegrumbacher
      January 20, 2016 at 9:43 pm

Pf, it is and always has been fear about the way the US is changing. Insecure people have to convince themselves that the people they fear ‘don’t belong’ in order to justify their prejudice.

20. January 20, 2016 at 8:40 pm

Regarding that stupid statement from Sarah Palin about her son…. I happen to know something about her son’s circumstances. A good friend of mine is a retired state trooper from Alaska. He was the governor’s pilot and member of the security team so he was closely involved with her family and their comings and goings, including their legal problems. He said that Trac was in trouble before he went in the army, in fact, an agreement was negotiated with a judge to drop charges against him and possible jail time, if he enlisted. Apparently Trac was never in combat while in Iraq and his military duty was shortened because he wasn’t working out at all, couldn’t hack it. He has a pretty substantial rap sheet from what I have heard.

Coincidentally, we took a cruise the summer before Palin was nominated and our friend gave us a tour of the governor’s mansion n Juneau, including Palin and her kids private quarters. Trac refused to live in Juneau and eventually so did the daughters, so they ended up staying in Wasilla and Anchorage and went wild with poor supervision from the father when Palin was staying at the governor’s mansion in Juneau. A couple of notable things about Palin, every day the staff would put several newspapers and journals on her desk, at the end of the day they were untouched. Also, shortly after her installment as governor she had a big priorty on having a tanning bed put in at public expense. My friend decided it was time to retire, he had his fill of her abuse. So when they had his retirement, going away party, Palin didn’t bother to put in an appearance or even say goodbye after 30 years of service. Another anecdote, when Palin was inaugurated and touring the state capitol for the first time, he showed her the buildings where the state senate and house met. She looked puzzled and asked why there were two chambers in the legislature. That’s how prepared she was.

• 93 arapaho415
      January 20, 2016 at 8:56 pm

GE Bill.

Agree that the Palin kids are totally out of control — heard something similar about Track years ago (something about vandalism, but charges dropped if he enlisted in the army).

This situation is really serious for the Palin family — apparently the gun involved in the event that got him arrested was directed at himself — he basically threatened suicide and his girlfriend was terrified that he would pull the trigger — and won’t get any better with Palin imposing herself once again on the lower 48.

I’m gonna ignore her and Trump as much as possible, just not worth any brain cells to contemplate either of them.

• 94 99ts
      January 20, 2016 at 9:42 pm

He actually enlisted in the National Guard – which I understand is very different to the army – probably never thought they would leave the country. It seems alcohol is much more related to his behavior than PTSD. There are so many vets who suffer from the latter – pure insult for Palin to mention same – no doubt the lawyers will use this in court.

I’m beginning to believe that Trump wants out & brought in Palin to hurry things along.

• 95 jackiegrumbacher
      January 20, 2016 at 9:47 pm

Thanks, Bill. Palin has been lying for so long about herself and her family that I’m not even sure she knows what truth is anymore. She has been incompetent at everything she’s tried and the only thing she seems to be consistently good at is undying hatred of our President.

• January 20, 2016 at 11:39 pm

Really awful that McCain’s team never vetted this dysfunctional family and that the media still has a sick obsession with them. UGH!

January 20, 2016 at 8:52 pm

January 20, 2016 at 8:58 pm

23. 111 Dudette
    January 20, 2016 at 9:05 pm

• 112 COS
      January 20, 2016 at 9:11 pm

Dudette, I can see that these Bernie supporters are going to be worse than the PUMAs. why do I always get the feeling that Rachel is always defending Bernie Sanders?

• 113 Don
        January 20, 2016 at 9:16 pm

COS, you get that feeling about Rachel because she’s always defending Bernie Sanders. Its as if President Obama’s accomplishments are ho-hum. Its almost as if he wasn’t supposed to be the person that progressives wanted to lead them to the promise land.

• 114 Don
          January 20, 2016 at 9:18 pm

And its pissing me off!

• 115 Don
          January 20, 2016 at 9:22 pm

You’ve got fucking Bill Press writing a book about President Obama supposedly letting the progressives down. Really, healthcare, marriage equality, Cuba is open and Iran has given up her nuclear stockpiles. And somehow progressives aren’t happy, these people are un-fucking-believable!

• January 20, 2016 at 9:19 pm

Partly because she is. Bernie has been a good guest for her but only when he wanted to peddle his ‘millionaires and billionaires’ rant. He means well I think but I haven’t heard him talk about anything else for the past 5-6 years until recently.

• 117 COS
          January 20, 2016 at 9:23 pm

Thanks guys. I was thinking I was the only one that noticed. I heard that the Nation magazine has endorsed Sanders. He is getting all of the Emos.

• January 20, 2016 at 9:44 pm

I have had very mixed feelings about her since PBO’s election. However whatever else she does, I will be eternally grateful to her for hammering away on the Michigan EFMs and the Flint water tragedy. I didn’t hear as much about it in Michigan as I did on her shows and it is entirely due to her that it is a national issue, which will hopefully make it impossible for Snyder to slink away from it.

• January 20, 2016 at 10:01 pm

She can be relentless when she gets a bee in her bonnet. I don’t always agree with her but she is brilliant and thorough. After eight years of listening and watching her, I also find her consistent. I appreciate her for those qualities but to each….

• January 20, 2016 at 10:19 pm

It’s all bluster by people who know very little of what it takes to win on the grassroots level! Bernie is not a Democrat! Bernie supporters are mainly Nederites. A great many of them supported Cynthia McKinney in 2012. If the real Democratic base turns out to vote in 2016, as it did in 2008 and 2012, Hillary Clinton will be the next President of the United States. By the way, I am not a Hillary fan and I plan to vote for Martin O’Malley in the CA primary if he is still in the race. But I am a realist and I know O’Malley has almost zero chance of being the Democratic nominee. Some come General Elections time, I will vote for Hillary, because I am now convinced she will be the nominee.

January 20, 2016 at 11:14 pm

With you on that, nath. Although I might write-in Barack H. Obama in the primary, if write-ins are an option. 🙂 (Kidding, of course. I would never play with a vote.)

• January 21, 2016 at 12:11 am

Thanks JO’B! You gave me an idea! May be If O’Malley is no longer in the race during the June CA primary I will write in Joseph R. Biden. But come General Election, I am voting for the Democratic nominee!

January 21, 2016 at 12:25 am

Come GE, I am, too. But you gave me an idea! Joseph R. Biden, it is. At least “we” can elect him President, even if he declined. Go, Joe! (Go, nath!)

• 126 idon
          January 21, 2016 at 12:49 am

I love PBO. In the political arena, he is is my everything so I want to protect his legacy and a REAL DEMOCRAT like HRC is the way to go. But I understand voting your fav in the primary. I’m in CA too. We’ll go with HRC not because she’s our fav but because I want to make sure she gets as many delegates as possible. No one will ever get the love, respect and commitment I have only for PBO. I just wish VP Biden had decided to run. I love him so much.

• 127 99ts
      January 20, 2016 at 9:46 pm

What is with “won’t let Bernie win” – the GOP may have given up on democracy but Bernie will win if people vote for him

• 128 jackiegrumbacher
      January 20, 2016 at 9:52 pm

In what universe is this idiocy a persuasive argument? Bernie supporters seem actually to be trying to be the most irritating people on the planet.

• 131 sherijr
      January 20, 2016 at 9:57 pm

wait what? “won’t let Bernie win” wtf, I’m pretty sure we still vote. They can’t be serious. This is why I’m just pretty much ignoring all the silly season nonsense.

• 132 nospin
      January 21, 2016 at 10:24 am

I had to laugh at NC Nomad because I feel that is the same thing HRC supporters are saying. “If democrats won’t let HRC win the nomination the democratic party will be destroyed”

I have no idea how the hell after the past 7+ years we ended up at this point. smdh!!!

24. January 20, 2016 at 9:16 pm

Great pics today both past and present. I am already getting nostalgemia. Thanks Chips and Nerdy.

25. 135 JER
    January 20, 2016 at 9:20 pm

26. 140 Dudette
    January 20, 2016 at 9:41 pm

27. 142 globalcitizenlinda
    January 20, 2016 at 10:05 pm

I hope that one day soon, someone can compile the chronology of the multiple times polls showed that the majority of Americans did not support an action that PBO took at the time but which turned out to be the best for us all;

I would like to see the percentages of the polling at the time the action was taken and a comparison of where we are now.

of the top of my head, I can think of

– auto bail out

– ObamaCare

– stimulus

– etc

• 143 arapaho415
      January 21, 2016 at 6:51 am

GM GCL.

Hope someone compiles these snapshots in time, and includes:

1) MSM role in hyping meaningless polls (meaningless because they’re based on what respondents have heard from MSM, which is how “badly” the Obama Administration handled ACA [OMG the music while you’re on hold!], Syria, defense sequesters, Israel, Iran, etc. — including OMG #ObamaTanSuit!).

2) That the opposition to the Obama Administration is somewhere in the neighborhood of 60% RWNJs who would vote for Satan if he were on the ballot against Barack Obama and 40% elite #WhitePrivilege #Snowdenwald emoprog dudebros.

28. 144 Obama Grandmama
    January 21, 2016 at 1:57 am

All of my family voted for Obama in 2008 and 2012, but are splitting our votes this time around. My son, who is not liking how ACA rules are affecting his new business expenses likes Bernie’s single payer idea. Not sure how his wife will vote. My other daughter-in-law that thinks she knows everything and blows up at you if you do not agree with her and my other son that goes along with her on most everything are voting Bernie. My brother who is usually a Rand Paul Constitutionalist is voting for Bernie. My youngest daughter and her husband will be attending a Hillary fundraiser sitting at Bill Clinton’s table and voting for her. My other daughter that lives in Munich will be voting Hillary. When she was a high school senior she was chosen to join a group called Young Ambassadors going to DC for two weeks. They met First Lady Hillary when she spoke to their group about being open to opportunities that presented themselves. My daughter will be voting for her this time around. I like O’Malley, but due to his status I will probably vote Hillary. I like her stand on gun regulation and on protecting and improving the ACA. But as you can see we are not united this time around.

@POTUS