Dec

Cancer Diagnosis? ObamaCare Has Your Back

122965_d

Tara Culp-Ressler: The Impact Of Obamacare On Cancer Outcomes Is Becoming Clearer

More young women are getting screened and diagnosed with early-stage cervical cancer, potentially because Obamacare allows them to access insurance benefits through their parents’ plans, according to a new study from American Cancer Society researchers. The researchers examined a large database that tracks cancer cases in the United States. They compared the cancer diagnoses among women between the ages of 21 to 25 to the diagnoses among women between the ages of 26 to 34 — both before and after the Affordable Care Act’s coverage expansion took effect. An Obamacare provision that allows young adults to remain insured through their parents’ plans until the age of 26 appears to have affected the rates of cervical cancer diagnosis among that demographic.

After the ACA, the diagnosis rates significantly rose for the women in their early twenties and remained fairly constant for older women. “It’s a very remarkable finding, actually,” researcher Dr. Ahmedin Jemal told the New York Times. “You see the effect of the ACA on the cancer outcomes.” It’s better to receive an early cancer diagnosis because the disease is easier to treat in its early stages and patients are more likely to survive. Even though it might not sound like a good thing that cervical cancer cases are on the rise, it’s actually reflective of the fact that more people are using their health insurance to get screened. Previous research has found that people with insurance are more likely to take advantage of preventative health services like screenings that can detect cancer as soon as possible.

More here

85 Responses to “Cancer Diagnosis? ObamaCare Has Your Back”

1. December 8, 2015 at 6:50 pm

Thank you for featuring this very important aspect of #Obamacare, NW. And, thank you for persistently posting examples of all the crucial outcomes of President Obama’s having the courage to disregard the polls and remain true to his commitment to provide affordable health care to all Americans.

2. December 8, 2015 at 6:51 pm

This is what EVERY elected Republican, every NEWSTAINER, every Citizen of the United States of America should be telling Trump ….

…. over and over and over again.

Yes WE Can

3. 8 globalcitizenlinda
    December 8, 2015 at 7:01 pm

NW thanks for the ObamaCare update ;

a friend of mine who had not been to see a doctor in more than 15 years (due to no healthcare) was able to get ObamaCare and has been doing a number of preventive and monitoring test to form a healthcare baseline and also treat outstanding malignances

4. 10 globalcitizenlinda
    December 8, 2015 at 7:06 pm

• 11 globalcitizenlinda
      December 8, 2015 at 7:11 pm

wondering how the gop can be so hypocritical in their pronouncements and actions about our Muslim brothers and sisters;

I can’t believe that the same people who used a religious test, to vote for the US not to accept refugees, are now shamelessly pretending that their hands are pure and that it is only one scumbag who is an anomaly;

all are certified xenophobes, racists, misogynists, hatemongers etc and they should stand and be proud of their achievement

5. December 8, 2015 at 7:09 pm

• 13 globalcitizenlinda
      December 8, 2015 at 7:15 pm

I heard about this case on NPR today and I was just shaking my head at how far the gop will go to preserve their political dominance;

you turn your head for one second and the gop is trying to ram through some way to disadvantage non-gop voters

6. December 8, 2015 at 7:12 pm

7. 15 GGail
    December 8, 2015 at 7:27 pm

Yes, but NW, can ObamaCare fix this?
    Manchester United are in the Europa League. They’ve made a right meal of this group. They were expected to get through, but the truth is that they are an average side. They’ve finished below PSV Eindhoven. If Louis van Gaal wasn’t already under pressure, he is now. It’s been an embarrassing return to the Champions League for United. They’ve spent a lot of money, but they are the first English side to go out. Will Arsenal and Chelsea follow them into the Europa League? We’ll find out tomorrow.

December 8, 2015 at 7:32 pm

On MSNBC, Evan Kohlmann (Flashpoint Global)(who identifies himself as the son of a Holocaust survivor) just gave a resounding rebuke to Trump as putting in danger “Muslim Americans, and U.S. soldiers and diplomats around the world.”

9. 18 JER
    December 8, 2015 at 7:33 pm

10. December 8, 2015 at 7:34 pm

it is only the light that can drive out the darkness

• 23 jackiegrumbacher
      December 8, 2015 at 9:43 pm

Thanks for this, Pf. Nancy is so right. The Republican candidates led by the “loudmouth” drag us into a dark place, which depresses our energies and our souls. If we focus on the goodness of our President, as Nerdy has done in this post, or on the sweetness of the children in our lives, then we can all draw strength from the light. We’re going to have a hard battle to fight in 2016 and it’s going to take all our energies and all our courage to win. We can’t let the Trumps of this world (and they are many) diminish our strength.

• 24 SUEDUVALL SMITH
        December 9, 2015 at 8:12 am

I AM NOT IN A DARK PLACE ABOUT THIS MESS BECAUSE I HAVE HOPE IN CHRIST’S RETURN….I FIGHT FOR JUSTICE WITH THE JOY OF JESUS…HE IS MY ARMOR!

11. 25 JER
    December 8, 2015 at 7:38 pm

• 26 No Child Left Behind
      December 8, 2015 at 7:54 pm

I had the same thought this morning when I watched his word-match with Morning Joke this morning. I am convinced that Il Douche has lost a couple of marbles.

12. December 8, 2015 at 7:39 pm

• 28 globalcitizenlinda
      December 8, 2015 at 9:56 pm

great that the Archbishop stood up to this xenophobic governor ;

I hope the lay Catholics in this Archdiocese remember this come election (although if I recall correctly, pence is not running again)

13. 29 Nena20409
    December 8, 2015 at 8:01 pm

Trump and Birtherism didn’t wake him up. Better late than never? Yup!

• 30 carolyn
      December 8, 2015 at 8:05 pm

I just watched this segment on the NBC news page. It’s a good beginning, but either Brokaw or someone else needs to make it stronger and go farther with it. He is still playing a little coy I think, not wanting to disturb his corporate patrons.

This is a first baby step…..we need giant steps.

December 8, 2015 at 8:01 pm

15. 41 Nena20409
    December 8, 2015 at 8:03 pm

GE TOD.
    Always AAA+ on ACA Updates, NW. Much appreciated.
    Congrats, Doc Bobfr on your Gold ⭐ and Ag ⭐

16. December 8, 2015 at 8:08 pm

December 8, 2015 at 8:19 pm

what a profile in courage.

December 8, 2015 at 8:21 pm

19. December 8, 2015 at 8:44 pm

Good evening, TOD. Drag azzing as usual… LOL

TV seems to be all trump, all the time. Obvious that the newstainers have gotten their new rcn talking points. Too little, too late.

My heart breaks for all of the good, sane folks in this country. My heart aches and I’m concerned for all of the Muslims that may face discrimination, mental anguish or physical danger due to the gop bigots and the msm that enables.

On several occasions, I’ve mentioned my electrician and his four sons. Wonderful men and boys; excellent tradesmen; each of the boys is interested in/learning a different craft. Polite, well mannered, fair. Did I mention they are Muslim? I worry about their safety here in the burbs…

The other day, as I was exiting Dollar Tree, a guy walking past my car saw the “Republican for Obama” sticker and kicked it. I walked up on him, wearing my USMC jacket, holding my oxygen cannister like a bat and said “MF’r, kick it one more time…” he backpedaled, mumbling he didn’t know the car belonged to a Marine — he’s one too… After I was in the car and on the road, my first thought was suppose this idiot had had a gun… Mind you, I live in a “safe” suburb; yet over the past year, I’ve seen confederate flags sprout up like weeds… Trump and his ilk want to start a civil war!

• December 8, 2015 at 9:06 pm

These sick bastards have been release, thanks to the racists tea party, the right wing conservatives racists Republicans, and that racists bigot Donald Trump.

• 48 globalcitizenlinda
      December 8, 2015 at 9:51 pm

very sorry about that incident;

it shakes you up when blatant hate is directed at you like that (and in the light of day too);

I hope that you reminded him that he owed it to the country he served (and the specific branch in which he served) to represent it as best he can => he didn’t represent well what we know about the USMC;

guess he forgot what even us civilians know so well => once a Marine, always a Marine

• December 9, 2015 at 12:34 am

It does Linda. I was po’d — not thinking rationally. I sort of can laugh now as I must have been a sight, holding the o2 bottle by the neck, ready to swing it upside his head. I have to give him credit though, when I wear USMC gear, most folks ask “is your hubby a Marine” this guy knew by my language that the Marine was ME! lol

• 50 MadameSoph
          December 9, 2015 at 2:22 am

Peeking in late jazziz2,
          Picturing you, ready to swing that o2 can and saying, “Mfr, kick it one more time….” made my night 🙂 It’s like a scene from a movie!
          O2 can or no, I want you with me if I’m ever in a sketchy situation! Love that you did that!

• 51 amk for obama
      December 8, 2015 at 9:55 pm

does this marine know once he becomes a ‘vet’, the thugs party will kick him to the curbs?

• December 9, 2015 at 12:26 am

AMK, the bigots are so blinded by their hate that they don’t care. PBO has done more in 7 years for vets than the last four admins combined; yet some not only don’t give him an oz of respect, they vote for the assholes that consistently vote to deny jobs, benefits, pay… Yesterday, I posted a well written opinion piece on women in combat, authored by an Army ranger, to my Marine group. One of the bigots screamed it was “Political” and wanted it taken down. Several of us questioned WHAT made it political? Her response “Obama” along with a lot of derogatory adjectives. Fortunately, once all of her negative comments were deleted, we were actually able to have a great discussion even though there were many divergent views on WiC…

20. 53 Vicki
    December 8, 2015 at 9:01 pm

PBO gently ridiculed Donald Trump at the WHPC dinner the night the President sent the Seals to kill Bin Laden. The next year, POTUS saw The Donald in the audience and asked him, “you’re still here?”
    It seems like Trump is determined to make President Obama pay for those humiliations.

Donald destroys—or tries to destroy—-anybody who dares to criticize him.
    Then he gloats. What a repulsive loser this deranged racist is.

December 8, 2015 at 9:03 pm

22. December 8, 2015 at 9:16 pm

If ll Douche is actually DQ’d from being president because of his vile comments, then should’nt his campaign be shut down immediately?

December 8, 2015 at 9:23 pm

if only the fucking fifth columnist fourth estate did their job.

24. 63 JER
    December 8, 2015 at 11:07 pm

25. 64 JER
    December 8, 2015 at 11:13 pm

26. 65 arapaho415
    December 8, 2015 at 11:17 pm

GE/GM TODville.

From yesterday, for amk:

And this underscores the importance of diversity in the top spot of government/businesses. If HRC becomes President, male/female ratio at WH will be even or perhaps mainly women.

27. 67 arapaho415
    December 8, 2015 at 11:20 pm

And for those whose missed @PressSec’s stellar performance at WHPB today, here are the highlights.

Really hoping that Josh Earnest goes back to Kansas and runs for statewide-office there (and not take a think-tank or media job) after Jan 2017. Would love to have Kansas look a lot bluer than it does now.

December 8, 2015 at 11:29 pm

It was so important that Josh – on behalf of the White House – spoke out specifically against this. Not just Muslims around the world, but also government leaders from other countries (and all people who heard these horrific comments from the GOP “front runner”) must hear that Trump doesn’t speak for the rest of us!

• 69 COS
        December 8, 2015 at 11:46 pm

Jacqueline, I was so happy that Josh spoke very strongly about this. He did not back down. Gibbs was ok, but Josh is better. Yesterday when when one of the reporters asked how did PBO feel about all of the negative responses to his speech, Josh told him that he disagreed because he had read a lot of positive headlines. The reporter took one negative headline and try to say that it was everyone who responded negatively.

• 72 mtmarilyn
      December 9, 2015 at 12:04 am

I sure hope he does too. Kansas needs him. It’s my home state and what has happened to it is so sad.

28. December 9, 2015 at 12:05 am

This tracker will tell you how many shootings occurred in your neighborhood this year… Sad, but useful…

December 9, 2015 at 1:00 am

Goodnight, TODville. Coming up on my mother’s celebratory 94th birthday in heaven, where I imagine she’s greeting all the new arrivals with coffee, pie, and ice cream – her late-night snack which she called “bed lunch.” ❤ Happy Birthday, Mother!

30. December 9, 2015 at 1:52 am

Good night Jackie,
    Happy Birthday to your Mother!

December 9, 2015 at 3:59 am

Dubai-based Landmark Group, one of the Middle East’s largest retail firms, said it was pulling Donald Trump products off its shelves in response to the Republican presidential front-runner’s call for a ban on Muslims entering the United States.

Landmark and DT Home Marks International LLC have an exclusive deal to sell Trump Home products – including lighting, mirrors, and jewellery boxes – in their Lifestyle department stores in Kuwait, the UAE, Saudi Arabia and Qatar.

• 79 globalcitizenlinda
      December 9, 2015 at 7:25 am

I don’t know why the bigoted fool does not think about the impact of his words on his holdings => no wonder he has a history of multiple bankruptcy

December 9, 2015 at 7:52 am

AH! Some good news this morning right off the bat! Hit him in the wallet…GREAT IDEA. Maybe his cheap suits made in China can be pulled off the shelf, too….when he’s no longer making $$ off the fools that buy his cheap stuff, maybe he’ll have to stop campaigning and a “Family Emergency” will come up and he’ll have to drop out….then, as previously planned, someone else will move to the fore and seem “normal” in relation to the Hitleresque Trump…and the Republicans will then be able to give themselves permission to vote for the “Not Trump” and think that that candidate will be MUCH BETTER…when in truth, they are all the same! Big Mouth just has such a Big Mouth to match his HUUUUUUUUUGE EGO he can’t keep his damn mouth shut! Dems need to tie this around the neck of every single solitary RW idiot running for office! This is who they are and what they believe.

Morning everyone! Can’t believe it’s already Wednesday!

• 82 jackiegrumbacher
      December 9, 2015 at 8:08 am

I’m glad to see that the loudmouth creep will feel the effects of his hatred in the area that matters most to him–his bank account. Would love to see people around the world boycott Trump products and properties. Nothing would make me happier than to have this presidential venture cause another Trump bankruptcy.

32. 83 globalcitizenlinda
    December 9, 2015 at 7:29 am

Good Morning Everyone !

Have a fantastic day

33. December 9, 2015 at 8:06 am

This should be really good. I’m privileged to have read and seen August Wilson’s full Century Cycle.

@POTUS