Dec

(1) President Obama leads mourners in singing “Amazing Grace” as he delivers a eulogy in honor of the Reverend Clementa Pinckney during funeral services in Charleston, South Carolina (Photo by Brian Snyder/Reuters)

(2) Pete Souza: “While visiting the Whitney Museum in New York City, the President hugged his daughter Malia as they looked at the art work.”

(3) Pete Souza: “The President and his national security staff are all smiles shortly after being notified of the nuclear agreement with Iran.”

(4) Pete Souza: “’Show us the Jeremy dance,’ the President said to departing Social Secretary Jeremy Bernard, during a farewell ceremony for Jeremy in the State Dining Room of the White House.”

(5) Pete Souza: “The President carries the twin boys of Katie Beirne Fallon, Director of Legislative Affairs, into the Oval Office just a few months after they were born.”

(6) Pete Souza: “The President greets the cast and crew of ‘Hamilton’ after seeing the play with his daughters at the Richard Rodgers Theatre in New York City.”

(7) Pete Souza: “Members of the Senate Democratic Caucus applaud the Vice President after the President acknowledged their partnership during a meeting and reception in the State Dining Room.”

(8) President Obama listens to inmates during their discussion at the El Reno Federal Penitentiary in Oklahoma (Photo by Pete Souza)

(9) Pete Souza: “The culmination of years of talks resulted in this handshake between the President and Cuban President Raúl Castro during the Summit of the Americas in Panama City, Panama.”

(10) President Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama join hands with Rep. John Lewis as they lead the walk across the Edmund Pettus Bridge to commemorate the 50th Anniversary of Bloody Sunday and the Selma to Montgomery civil rights marches, in Selma, Ala. Malia and Sasha Obama join hands with their grandmother, Marian Robinson (Photo by Lawrence Jackson)

There ends the list of contenders for pic of the year (click here to see them all) – a gazillion thanks to VC for all the help!

I’ll post your monthly choices after tomorrow’s Early Bird Chat, and then you’ll have until 8.0 EST to make the HUUUUUUGE decision!

133 Responses to “Photo of the Year: Wildcards (Part 2)”

1. 3 GGail
    December 31, 2015 at 4:13 pm

Once again, ladies & gents, I’m on top of the Leader Board😀

2. 13 Dudette
    December 31, 2015 at 4:15 pm

I hadn’t seen #6 before. Nice!
    I have gotta get to NYC to see that show!

3. 18 Judith Fardig
    December 31, 2015 at 4:18 pm

Congratulations to GGail! Loving all the photos, bar none!

4. 20 GGail
    December 31, 2015 at 4:19 pm

If I were to be allowed to leave work, I would be doing other things and not have all of this time on my hands. I’m here, but I REFUSE to do any work! (she says with attitude)

5. 24 Dudette
    December 31, 2015 at 4:22 pm

6. December 31, 2015 at 4:22 pm

• 26 Dudette
      December 31, 2015 at 4:25 pm

Wow! I don’t even golf and I wanna go there.

• 27 GGail
        December 31, 2015 at 4:38 pm

They’re calling for your reservations Dudette…

Hawaii Prince Golf Club designed by Arnold Palmer and Ed Seay offers 27 dramatic holes, the only golf course of its kind in Hawaii. Three interchangeable nines create a variety of playing conditions for all skill levels. Situated on Oahu’s sunny Ewa Plain, the golf course boasts 270 acres of sheer beauty and offers stunning views of the rain-carved Waianae Mountains. Long verdant fairways are lined with numerous white sand bunkers and 10 strategically placed lakes.

• 31 SUEDUVALL SMITH
      December 31, 2015 at 4:40 pm

OH MY GOODNESS…HOW COULD THEY EVEN TOUCH THAT PLACE WITH A GOLFBALL…PARADISE INDEED!

• December 31, 2015 at 6:14 pm

I hate golf, but I could learn to like it if I could go there. It is beautiful.

7. 33 Dudette
    December 31, 2015 at 4:25 pm

• 34 MightyPamela
      December 31, 2015 at 6:51 pm

Thank you for this, Dudette. This is me, after an SSA determination was reached in October, dating my disability back to the day of my accident/injury on 19 March 2013. Hasn’t it been a long, long time?? Luckily, just before that event, Hopefruit kindly bestowed my title upon me, and without that, I may not have been as mighty powering through this time of endurance.❤ I will explore the site more deeply in the new year, as I hope to find greater insight into how I can continue to climb out of the 'rabbit' hole I fell into almost 3 years ago! (had to add that word rabbit, GGail, sure does fit!)

8. 35 Dudette
    December 31, 2015 at 4:27 pm

9. 39 Dudette
    December 31, 2015 at 4:30 pm

10. 40 JER
    December 31, 2015 at 4:38 pm

11. 42 Dudette
    December 31, 2015 at 4:39 pm

Since someone who’s name starts with “G” brought it up. 🙂

12. 48 Dudette
    December 31, 2015 at 4:43 pm

13. 53 99ts
    December 31, 2015 at 4:51 pm

So while I was sleeping you posted a trazillion photo competitions Ms Chips – unfair retaliation for a minor call to order in regard to furst posting
    Your GOTV needs time zone adjustment.

• 54 MightyPamela
      December 31, 2015 at 7:18 pm

{{{{{ 99ts }}}}} Yes, but as you are already in 2016, better go for it!! Happy New Year to you and Mr99ts, with love and blessing that your new home becomes more and more a good fit for you both!❤

• 55 99ts
        December 31, 2015 at 8:26 pm

Happy New Year to you MP – I do hope that you are contented in your new home – I find contentment is long lasting – the highs and lows of other issues sometimes are difficult to cope with. Blessings

14. 56 Dudette
    December 31, 2015 at 4:52 pm

Other honorees include Imelda Staunton (Harry Potter fans will remember her as Dolores Umbridge) and…

“Also receiving a knighthood was Dr. Michael Jacobs, who led the team successfully treating British Ebola victims. He said it “truly was a team effort and I can’t praise too highly my exceptional, dedicated and skilful colleagues at the Royal Free.” He was among four people receiving honours in the campaign against Ebola.”

15. 58 Dudette
    December 31, 2015 at 4:53 pm

Look at this group of people playing Charades! Soooo cool! 😎

16. 63 Dudette
    December 31, 2015 at 4:55 pm

17. 64 Dudette
    December 31, 2015 at 4:57 pm

A beautiful feeling. Real grateful. #2015

A photo posted by Ava DuVernay (@directher) on

18. 66 SUEDUVALL SMITH
    December 31, 2015 at 4:59 pm

BBL…MAYBE…SOMEBODY HAS TO MAKE DINNER…ZIP THE LID OFF THE ALPO…SMOTHER IN KETCHUP………….AWESOME…INSTANT MEATLOAF!…ADIOS!

19. 67 Dudette
    December 31, 2015 at 5:04 pm

20. 68 Dudette
    December 31, 2015 at 5:05 pm

See ya later!

21. 69 GGail
    December 31, 2015 at 5:08 pm

YAY!!!! I’m escaping

See ya’ll on the flip side. Gotta go get my fixings for NY Day dinner

22. 70 donna dem 4 obama
    December 31, 2015 at 5:23 pm

Thank you Chips and VC for all your work putting the pictures of the year together. These pics tell a wonderful story each year.

Getting ready to quietly bring 2016 in tonight with family.

New Year’s Eve menu:

Sirloin Steak
    Garlic Shrimp
    Garlic Potatoes w/Chives
    Black Eye Peas w/Rice
    Collard Greens

and the ring in the New Year

Apple Cider Mimosas

23. 76 arapaho415
    December 31, 2015 at 6:15 pm

GA/GE TODville.

Logging in this afternoon, I see that Chips’ has offered a flurry of impossible choices for “photo of the year” just since this morning.

Think I’ve missed all voting since January because the decision was too hard — but Wildcard 2 may be the most difficult to choose.

Each one is magnificent.

P.S. DonnaDem. What a lucky family you have; my mouth is watering over your menu — the aroma is probably enticing your neighbors to find an excuse to drop by this evening. Yum.

Happy New Year, TODville.

24. 77 arapaho415
    December 31, 2015 at 6:25 pm

Hey, Phillie, look out your windows now!

December 31, 2015 at 7:04 pm

LOL! I didn’t realize Philly was on a different time zone… 🙂🙂🙂

Jokes aside, these fireworks are stunning!

• 79 arapaho415
        December 31, 2015 at 7:07 pm

Yes, @jimmacmillan is an excellent photographer (formerly with AP, won Pulitzer Prize for some of his Iraq War photos and his photos of the aftermath of Sept. 11 still accompany national news articles on that subject).

Saw on his timeline that today is his 6th wedding anniversary, so congrats to him!

December 31, 2015 at 6:44 pm

Happy (early) New Year’s Eve! We made it!

26. December 31, 2015 at 6:45 pm

Haters love to criticized and complain about the President and his family vacation to Hawaii. All I say to them, if you didn’t complain when G.W. went on his thousand of vacations, shut the hell up now. Happy Holidays to you haters.

27. December 31, 2015 at 7:00 pm

28. 83 MightyPamela
    December 31, 2015 at 7:03 pm

guys and gals, I think we do not have 30 years. This article makes me gasp: http://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2015/12/iceland-storm-melt-north-pole-climate-change/422166/

• 84 arapaho415
      December 31, 2015 at 7:16 pm

Happy New Year, MP.

From yesterday:

On the plus side, rain is forecast in SoCal next week. You might have heard of the SolimarBeach fire in Ventura County last weekend — heard the fire battalion chief say that only ONE-TENTH of an inch of rain has fallen in that location (just north of Ventura), so yeah, we’re desperate for rain (which has bypassed CA central coast this year).

29. December 31, 2015 at 7:07 pm

from the essay…

The extent to which you see things as seriously as Coates is probably directly proportional to the degree to which you have been victimized by one of the various ways that corruption has been manifested in different parts of the country. But it seems clear to me that many of the institutions of our criminal justice system are responding to the concerns in much the same way that the Catholic Church tried to deny and cover up the incidents of sexual abuse among priests. We can’t afford that kind of crisis of confidence in this system.

30. 87 Lynn
    December 31, 2015 at 7:08 pm

Wishing the best of all things to the TOD family

You all have given me so much.

Once upon a time BWD was posting at DK.

Pie fights erupted over her fab pics and DK lost

Then there was this fab site without trash or trolls.

Lets keep what Lady Chips created and bring it into the future.

I’m selfish enough to want President Obama on the Supreme Court

But I think we would all be better served if President O became
    SecGen of the UN.

jmpo

December 31, 2015 at 7:10 pm

LL’s NYE celebrations are starting early….it’s now ~ 4:10 PM in CA🙂🙂🙂

December 31, 2015 at 7:36 pm

33. December 31, 2015 at 7:44 pm

In case I haven’t posted, LL’s NYE menu:

Tri tip, roasted Santa Maria style.
    Mashed potatoes
    Carrots, boiled then sauteed briefly in soy sauce, honey, EVOO from Tunisia, and garlic.

• 104 donna dem 4 obama
      December 31, 2015 at 8:04 pm

No black eye peas for good luck and no greens to signify money in the new year?? What’s up with that?😆

On New Year’s Day, you’ll find people throughout the South eating black-eyed peas and greens. Many former Southerners have spread this tradition to other parts of the country. If this tradition is new to you, you probably have lots of questions – how did the tradition start? What do the foods symbolize? How do I cook them? Here are some answers to get you started.

Eating black-eyed peas on New Year’s has been considered good luck for at least 1,500 years.

According to a portion of the Talmud written around 500 A.D., it was Jewish custom at the time to eat black-eyed peas in celebration of Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish New Year. It’s possible that the tradition arrived in America with Sephardic Jews, who first arrived in Georgia in the 1730s. Common folklore tells that the tradition spread after the Civil War.

34. December 31, 2015 at 7:56 pm

35. December 31, 2015 at 7:58 pm

We had DELISH broiled salmon prepared by daughter. Roasted asparagus, also prepared by her. Mashed potatoes, Costco, but delicious.

HAPPY, HAPPY AND RICHLY BLESSED AND JOYOUS NEW YEAR TO ALL THE TOD FAMILY!!! 😍🎉🎊🎈💝🔮🎉🎊😍

December 31, 2015 at 8:14 pm

Is 2017 here yet?

37. 119 JER
    December 31, 2015 at 8:24 pm

38. December 31, 2015 at 8:26 pm

I’M BOOZED AND I DON’T CARE WHO KNOWS IT! (Because I shan’t be driving.)

December 31, 2015 at 8:27 pm

40. 123 GGail
    December 31, 2015 at 8:28 pm

I’m getting excited and looking forward to the Rose Parade in the morning. I had errands to do when I got off work, so as I was travelling thru Pasadena, I saw people lining the parade route at 3pm this afternoon and the old model T cars were working their way to – somewhere in the direction of the Rose Bowl🙂

• 124 amk for obama
      December 31, 2015 at 8:37 pm

murka’s best lookers were made in 50’s and 60’s. now all we get everywhere are effing boxes on wheels.

• 125 GGail
        December 31, 2015 at 8:42 pm

I still get excited. You should come over and see them up close amk, these are beautiful too

• 126 amk for obama
          December 31, 2015 at 8:48 pm

Wwe do get the rallies of these beauts in chennai every year. If I am in chennai, I make it a point to see them. Love those curves and oomph.

December 31, 2015 at 8:28 pm

42. December 31, 2015 at 8:29 pm

Okay, there’s a runaway winner of the last photo bunch, so I’ll post all the monthly winners in a minute – partly because I can’t think of anything else to post 😕

43. 131 JER