Sep

673 And Counting. Thanks, President Obama

Carrie Johnson: Obama Grants Clemency To 111 Prisoners; DOJ ‘Confident’ It Will Clear Backlog

President Obama shortened the prison sentences of 111 inmates Tuesday, including 35 people who had expected to spend the rest of their lives in federal custody, authorities told NPR. Word of the new batch of clemency grants came as the second in command at the Justice Department told NPR that lawyers there have worked through an enormous backlog of drug cases and, despite doubts from prisoner advocates, they will be able to consider each of the thousands of applications from drug criminals before Obama leaves office in 2017.

“At our current pace, we are confident that we will be able to review and make a recommendation to the president on every single drug petition we currently have,” Deputy Attorney General Sally Q. Yates said. The early releases apply to mostly nonviolent drug offenders who would have received lighter punishments if they committed the same crimes today. The new commutations mean this White House has granted 673 commutations, more than the past 10 presidents combined. Tuesday’s grants follow 214 more earlier this month.

More here

152 Responses to “673 And Counting. Thanks, President Obama”

September 18, 2016 at 2:13 pm

Nerdy…did you find my lost comment..er…rant? I hope its not lost forever.

September 18, 2016 at 2:16 pm

WOW. So powerful

3. 8 purpleshoesla
    September 18, 2016 at 2:36 pm

Good Sunday to y’all. Lookee what I found while out and about this morning! Nerdy THANK YOU FOR ALL YOU DO. TOD WARRIOR BLOGSTRESS SUPREME. This post is incredibly informative. . {{{{Chips&Dannystix}}}} thinkin of you two, big hugs.

4. 20 Ladyhawke
    September 18, 2016 at 2:46 pm

5. 22 globalcitizenlinda
    September 18, 2016 at 2:49 pm

this table is vital for voter-registration;

6. 25 Ladyhawke
    September 18, 2016 at 2:53 pm

• 26 COS
      September 18, 2016 at 3:04 pm

I really wish that the media would stop asking these deplorables this question about PBO’s birth. The mere fact that they are following Trump answers the question.

• 27 globalcitizenlinda
      September 18, 2016 at 3:10 pm

noted are some of the people whose names suggest that false lies they propagate about PBO could also be applied to them or their family members because they could be recent immigrants

7. 28 globalcitizenlinda
    September 18, 2016 at 2:58 pm

congratulations California!

• 30 whenpamelawandered
      September 18, 2016 at 3:11 pm

Hello Y’all darlings, this is concise and illuminating, heavy, but at least it’s from politico.eu; usually I stay away from Politico. Slowing down to a more normal but still exhausted pace after a quite wonderful block events in personal life. Big hugs all around. (pfla, the shoes rocked the morning! Xo) {{{{{ TOD ❤ Chipsticks&DannyO’ ❤ PBO }}}}}

September 18, 2016 at 5:15 pm

Helloooo there, MP, how was the wedding? 🙂

8. 33 JER
    September 18, 2016 at 3:08 pm

Tomorrow’s event with Secretary Clinton has reached capacity.

• 34 HZ
      September 18, 2016 at 3:48 pm

Great. Many blessings coming her way.
      (((((((((((Love you Nerdy for all that you do for TODers)))))))))))) ((((((((Loving hugs to my Chips.))))))))))))HZ

9. 35 globalcitizenlinda
    September 18, 2016 at 3:21 pm

I don’t know what to say about this :

September 18, 2016 at 3:26 pm

I was just reading this in my local news…what in the world?!

• 37 globalcitizenlinda
        September 18, 2016 at 4:55 pm

I am astounded by this report => given all the havoc documented to have been directly caused by a prescription drug epidemic, this is what these drug companies think they should do!!!

10. September 18, 2016 at 3:34 pm

11. 39 Ladyhawke
    September 18, 2016 at 3:42 pm

• 40 Ladyhawke
      September 18, 2016 at 3:44 pm

What Trump does care about is hiding his tax returns. This is the one thing he is consistent about. Focus on it. It’s a very simple and binary issue: Releasing tax returns is a basic duty of being a candidate, and Trump has not done it.

Until he does, here is how any and every interview with Trump should go:

Reporter: When are you releasing your tax returns?

Trump: [Vague, dismissive response.]

Reporter: When are you releasing your tax returns?

Trump: [More hostile, vague response.]

Reporter: When are you releasing your tax returns, though?
      So far, the press has let him get away with it. If reporters want the public to see his tax returns, they have to ask for them—every reporter, every day—and ask, and ask, and ask. If Trump wins on this, it will be because the press allowed him to win.

When will Donald Trump release his tax returns?

12. 41 CEB
    September 18, 2016 at 4:39 pm

I picked up the issues of Essence and InStyle that feature the Obamas this month and all that I can say about the gorgeous black and white photos of Michelle that appear in the latter is, DAYUM! She is breath-taking (pages 285;287)! She has totally shattered the idea of what a First lady looks like (no awful knit suits for her). She looks like a high-fashion model or some other area where beauty is a must. Best of all, however, is that she is even more beautiful as a person; smart, witty, kind, funny, hardworking, innovative in how she approaches the issues that she cares about, and still down-to-earth.

13. 43 globalcitizenlinda
    September 18, 2016 at 4:40 pm

14. 44 globalcitizenlinda
    September 18, 2016 at 5:11 pm

I am not in anyway trying to revive an issue that dominated coverage just over a week ago.

rather I am firm believer in saying thank you especially for those words/acts that reflect a kind of personal decency for the person who says the words or performs the act in question.

so here is a personal note of thanks to members of TOD:

although it was very tempting to do so (since it was running on a loop in many places), the restraint people showed in not posting the video of Sec HRC’s health scare here is something I noted and I was very grateful for.

thanks a lot everyone

• 45 susanne
      September 18, 2016 at 8:32 pm

Amen. I restrained myself from clicking on it anywhere. More and more, I’m careful about giving any clicks to DT or his minions or articles that headline his antics. And certainly not to anything negative about HRC or the president.

15. September 18, 2016 at 5:18 pm

On 9/14 I posted here recommending the Twitter Timeline of Professor Eve Ewing, in which she takes her followers on her special preview tour of the National Museum of African American History and Culture. I gave the wrong twitter handle/name. Her Twitter handle is @eveewing . She also goes by Wikipedia Brown, but that is not her twitter handle; I did not notice that. Someone else, a young man, has that twitter handle. SO: my apologies! for mixing you up! Thank you @jazziz for catching this, just noticed your note. If you want to see her series of tweets with photos, go to her twitter timeline and scroll back to 9/14, beginning with a view of blue sky through the walls of the museum. THis is a link to that place in her timeline. Love all the coverage of the NMAAHC and look forward to visiting sometime. Hoping for a TOD group tour sometime in the future.

16. September 18, 2016 at 5:30 pm

17. September 18, 2016 at 6:02 pm

any offerings??

September 18, 2016 at 6:03 pm

This Eddie Glaude fella needs to have a seat or STFU. He’s angry about PBO’s speech last night. Like I said to another Blacker-than-thou-Blacktivist You shouldn’t have felt “shamed” by PBO’s words unless you were not planning to vote this election. In other words, only the hit dogs seem to hollering about PBO’s otherwise very inspiring speech last night.

• 54 COS
      September 18, 2016 at 6:16 pm

HF, if this Eddie character has to ask this question, then there is no help for him. Apparently, his head has been stuck in the mud somewhere. Appears to be a Cornell West/Tavis Smiley type.

• 55 nathkatun7
        September 18, 2016 at 11:12 pm

“Pears to be a Cornell West/Tavis smiley type.”

You are absolutely spot-on, COS! I am not anti-intellectual. I actually honor and highly value Black intellect. But these blackademics, like Eddie Glaude and Cornel West, remind me of the people my grandmother used to call “educated fools.” My Grandmother’s other favorite saying, whenever she was frustrated by educated people who lacked common sense

• September 18, 2016 at 6:44 pm

This is the kind of crap that drives me crazy. “just out of curiosity” – give me a freakin’ break. Read a book, moron.

September 18, 2016 at 6:46 pm

Hopef, part of me wanted to respond to him with, ‘Who are *you* and *where* have you been?’ but figure my time can be better spent drying my hair. He’s likely another one from the crowd yearning for some attention and, honestly, I wouldn’t want to spare him the time at this stage in PBO’s reign. Of course, if Eddie has been locked away on some island without outside news etc, I might be compassionate enough to hint him towards doing some relevant research.

September 18, 2016 at 6:49 pm

Or tell him he’s too slow to get it if his curiosity is only now being awakened – attention seeking idiot!

• 59 arapaho415
      September 18, 2016 at 7:15 pm

GE HF2.

See my response to PF58 below.

#MBK
      #STFU

• 60 globalcitizenlinda
      September 18, 2016 at 8:35 pm

these people never stop

• 61 globalcitizenlinda
      September 18, 2016 at 10:08 pm

what has this arbiter of PBO’s legacy personally done for black communities?

I usually try to ignore these arm-chair know-it-all critics

19. 62 globalcitizenlinda
    September 18, 2016 at 6:31 pm

some police unions … what can one say … you choose to endorse a homegrown demagogue at a time when it ought to be more important to work with racial minorities to improve relationships and interactions … ok then

September 18, 2016 at 6:38 pm

21. September 18, 2016 at 6:44 pm

22. September 18, 2016 at 6:48 pm

• 66 arapaho415
      September 18, 2016 at 7:13 pm

GE PF58.

Still haven’t watched PBO’s entire speech to CBCF yet (though have seen clips of his call to action), but this in the transcript stood out for me. (Since this has nothing to do with #UnhingedDon, it’s under MSM radar, but in a decade or less, MSM will be vying for attention from the network inspired by the greatest President in modern history):

• 67 COS
        September 18, 2016 at 7:57 pm

So this is the only thing that Lynn Sweet remembers from PBO’s CBC speech.

• 68 susanne
          September 18, 2016 at 8:34 pm

that’s the line I’ve seen on several websites– oh, how they love to troll

• 69 arapaho415
          September 18, 2016 at 9:31 pm

GE COS.

Lynn posted a series of tweets last night — nothing spectacular, not on the par of the live tweets we love from NerdyW, but point well taken.

Focusing on this item from PBO’s spectacular speech last night — really, in the history of America, has there EVER been a speech by a sitting President that matches the passion of last night’s address urging members of his own party to vote? I doubt it — is a soundbite that gins up MSM’s base of white-as-default audience (any other perspective is “other” from the white-as-default POV).

23. September 18, 2016 at 6:49 pm

24. 78 Ladyhawke
    September 18, 2016 at 8:33 pm

25. 79 Ladyhawke
    September 18, 2016 at 8:36 pm

• 80 nathkatun7
      September 18, 2016 at 11:41 pm

Trump also repeatedly talks about how he was an “excellent student at a prestigious school.” How do we know he is not lying? Why doesn’t Trump release his college transcripts to prove that he was, as he claims, an “excellent student”?

September 18, 2016 at 8:50 pm

September 18, 2016 at 9:12 pm

Examining my posh surroundings — Italian bed linens, French table linens, Chinese duvet, Korean TV and, yes, Mexican tequila ($14 for a shot of Patrón Silver) in the minibar, er, “private bar,” I came across the Gideon Bible in the nightstand with a note on “TRUMP HOTELS ™” stationery:

“If you would like to continue your spiritual journey, we also offer the followings : Talmud. Quran. Gita. Avesta. Tripitaka (Pali Canon). Shri Guru Granth Sahib. Book of Mormon. Kindly contact Housekeeping should you wish to have one delivered to your room.”

Sure enough, minutes after my call to housekeeping, a pleasant woman arrived with a copy of “The Glorious Qur’an” in Arabic and English, along with a brown prayer rug and a compass pointing in the “direction of al Kaaba” in Mecca….

He campaigns on an “America First” theme — yet about the only American-made thing I could find in my hotel room was the small package of milk-chocolate Trump gold bullion ($25)….

In my room, I found a Trump logo bathmat and towels from India, bone china from Japan, Italian cutlery and tiles, two telephones from Malaysia, a Swiss refrigerator, German coffee cups, Trump soaps and lotions from Canada and, from China, all four lamps, the coffee machine, the bathroom scale, the valet stand and the shower cap. The hotel’s managing director is from France. Most hotel workers I met during my stay had Caribbean or African accents.

From the WaPo Milbank piece…

September 18, 2016 at 9:22 pm

In the system of “Managed Democracy” crafted by the Kremlin, it was unthinkable that President Putin’s control of parliament would weaken.

And so, the four pro-Kremlin parties which dominated the previous parliament will do so again. But will the new parliament be recognised by the public as legitimate?

The Russian authorities have tried to present this as one of the cleanest elections in years. Some opposition candidates were permitted to run; a respected human rights advocate was appointed head of the Russian Election Commission.

Yet throughout the day there have been reports of voting fraud – and video to back them up. In some cases, webcams installed at polling stations recorded what appear to be election officials stuffing ballot boxes.

It was vote-rigging which sparked anti-government street protests after the last parliamentary election. President Putin will be hoping that this time his personal popularity, combined with widespread apathy, will mean that Russians accept the result.

September 18, 2016 at 9:24 pm

love you

September 18, 2016 at 9:28 pm

30. 88 Ladyhawke
    September 18, 2016 at 9:40 pm

September 18, 2016 at 10:00 pm

Businesswoman Martha Stewart will not be voting for fellow business mogul Donald Trump.

Instead, she will be vote for Hillary Clinton.

“This is the most important election of the last hundred years,” she told CNNMoney on Sunday. “We have to be very certain that we elect a person who has experience, knowledge, a base of education in the world of world politics, as well as domestic politics, and so obviously I’m voting for Hillary Clinton.

“We just can’t have a country run by someone who is totally unprepared for what comes.”

Trump and Stewart, both powerhouses of the reality-show universe, have a history of not getting along.

“There is so much to know and so much to learn and so much diplomacy and kindness and introspection that goes with that kind of job,” Stewart said. “And it does not exist in the world of Donald Trump.”

32. 91 Gazelle
    September 18, 2016 at 10:29 pm

Female chief in Malawi breaks up 850 child marriages and sends girls back to school:

September 18, 2016 at 10:32 pm

I haven’t read the article yet but I do hope this chief has adequate security.

• 93 Gazelle
        September 18, 2016 at 10:46 pm

She sounds like she’s not taking any shit, VC! Seriously a toughie! Sending all that’s good her way! Keep on, Let Girls Learn!

September 18, 2016 at 10:56 pm

And whenever one sticks to one’s guns while disturbing the status quo one is bound to make enemies! May she be surrounded with a ‘wall’ of protection.

September 18, 2016 at 10:45 pm

It is so sad that these practices continue, often abetted by the girls’ parents. I notice the article was written earlier in the year; it’s my hope that Chief Kachindamoto is alive and well and still making a difference in the lives of these young children/girls/ladies. She is certainly making an impact in her effort to ‘Let Girls Learn’.

33. 98 JER
    September 18, 2016 at 10:42 pm

• 99 Gazelle
      September 18, 2016 at 10:51 pm

JER, I for one have loved all your posts of POTUS taking off, & landing someplace. I don’t know how you do it. I never paid attention to AF1 before this POTUS. It’s a thing of beauty which you’ve brought time and again to TOD. Plus all the other fab links we would have otherwise missed. Thank you!

34. September 18, 2016 at 10:59 pm

September 18, 2016 at 11:05 pm

Some one here contested my view that germany is going ‘birther’.

September 18, 2016 at 11:11 pm

September 18, 2016 at 11:13 pm

September 18, 2016 at 11:14 pm

September 18, 2016 at 11:14 pm

September 18, 2016 at 11:15 pm

September 18, 2016 at 11:51 pm

September 19, 2016 at 12:34 am

You are an evil soul – wish I knew how to barf all over *you* without disturbing other kind souls in the village! Where is that bridge going anyways, and why would anyone sane want to go there? Wait, don’t answer. I don’t want to know.

42. 131 globalcitizenlinda
    September 19, 2016 at 12:48 am

• 132 arapaho415
      September 19, 2016 at 8:16 am

GM GCL.

This weekend’s Chelsea (NYC) and New Jersey events may sadly be the #OctoberSurprise MSM salivate over and endlessly promote. Nothing but terror on US soil and DJT spouting off about racial/ethnic profiling being “reported” by MSM now.

Seems like a good day to avoid both MSM and DJT.

• 133 globalcitizenlinda
      September 19, 2016 at 11:17 am

same people who are constantly hindering the right and chance to vote

September 19, 2016 at 1:23 am

Probably should sign off now – good night, TODobots. Sweet dreams!

44. 135 Ladyhawke