Jul

A Well Earned Thank You

Obama CIC

Dick Meyer: Mr. President, On Behalf Of An Ungrateful Nation, Thank You

I’ve never written a column like this. Readers rarely believe it, but I am not on any political team. Generosity toward the high and mighty isn’t among my few virtues. But this needs to be said: Americans are lucky to have Barack Obama as president and we should wake up and appreciate it while we can. President Obama will go down in history as an extraordinary president, probably a great one. He will have done this in era that doesn’t aggrandize leaders and presidents, but shrinks them. All presidents have had profound opposition, vicious enemies and colossal failures. A few were beloved and others deeply respected in their day, but none in the modern era and certainly not Obama.

Obama This Guy

One can hate Democrats, disagree with Obama on big issues, dislike his style or be disappointed the excitement of his election didn’t last. But his accomplishments, ambitious goals, dignity and honesty under tough circumstances demand admiration and appreciation. 1. The Iran deal: Time will reveal if the deal worked, not today’s talking/tweeting heads. What cannot be in dispute is this was a momentous initiative, a gutsy political risk, a diplomatic success and, potentially, a giant step in defusing a long-ticking time bomb. 2. Obamacare: In the midst of the worst economy since the Great Depression, Obama delivered one of the most important domestic programs since the New Deal. Only LBJ’s Great Society laws compare. Obamacare has survived two challenges in the Supreme Court and constant, kabuki-style congressional votes to repeal. It’s now off life support. Key goals are being met. It will evolve and improve. One day it will be taken for granted and people will say, “Keep the government out of my Obamacare.”

More here

138 Responses to “A Well Earned Thank You”

1. 1 sabreen60
    July 19, 2015 at 4:15 pm

Happy Sunday!

2. 7 arapaho415
    July 19, 2015 at 4:18 pm

GA TODville.

Here’s another “hat’s off” from @Milbank, who says

“In between, on June 26, came his eulogy in South Carolina — perhaps the best rhetoric of his presidency, but also a call for action over words. “Every time something like this happens, somebody says we have to have a conversation about race,” he said. ‘We don’t need more talk.’”

And Nerdy, if you missed it, here’s another arrow for your ACA quiver.

• 8 theo67
      July 19, 2015 at 11:40 pm

I’m always stunned when I read that people like Dana Milibank think this President has been shy about race, or that he has only “lectured” black people about race during his Presidency. What do they think “My Brother’s Keeper” is all about, or the early mentorship efforts, or the 1:1 conversations with young black men? What do they think his speech on race in the 2008 campaign was about. And what do they think his very existence as the first black President means to black people? Race, and talking about race, isn’t President Obama’s problem. It’s the problem of all those people who think race is a determinant of wealth, status, rights or worth. Where have they been all this time?

3. 9 Dudette
    July 19, 2015 at 4:20 pm

July 19, 2015 at 4:26 pm

Yessss, good to see this featured! I read it a couple of days ago and among all his stellar points particularly liked his admonition that we should appreciate the exceptional president we have ‘right now’.

5. 14 Vicki
    July 19, 2015 at 4:28 pm

Great article and I’m glad you highlighted it, nerdy.

6. 15 JER
    July 19, 2015 at 4:29 pm

7. July 19, 2015 at 4:33 pm

8. July 19, 2015 at 4:42 pm

So, latest. Bernie sent out a tweet with #SayHerName. Mentioned Sandra Bland… and then 3 men.

9. 20 Marlz (@MarJGra)
    July 19, 2015 at 4:50 pm

Read this the other day and became so emotional. We are such an ungrateful nation!
    Thanks for posting again.

10. 21 Nena20409
    July 19, 2015 at 4:51 pm

Fantastic Post, NW. Thanks.
    Sabreen60 and Dudette are Gold ⭐ recipients……Congrats.

11. July 19, 2015 at 4:51 pm

OT, but oh so funny…Key and Peele

• 24 CEB
      July 19, 2015 at 6:24 pm

Key and Peele received 8 Emmy nominations and there was an interview with them today on CBS’ Sunday Morning.

12. 25 otter44
    July 19, 2015 at 4:57 pm

Happy Birthday :LL. Thank you for your comments and articles.I give them a couple reads and they always add to my understanding.And thanks for the poetry and music. Hope your day and year are filled with joy and fun.

13. 26 Nena20409
    July 19, 2015 at 4:57 pm

Better late, than Never……these 2 stories…….well, are quite an improvement from the regular NY/DC douchebaggery.
    From Jake Tapper?

Et Tu, Andrea? 😯

• 27 jackiegrumbacher
      July 19, 2015 at 5:31 pm

Gosh, Nena, what happened to these two? They’re actually demanding some kind of accountability from the GOP? Is there something in the water?

• 28 theo67
        July 19, 2015 at 5:43 pm

I know! I had to double-check that those two headlines weren’t from “The Onion”. I wish they’d asked these questions a long time ago. Americans might be better educated on what their political parties are doing on their dime.

• 29 Nena20409
        July 19, 2015 at 5:52 pm

I did a double take too, Jackie.
        Tapper and Mitchell are perfect epitome of Yellow Journalism. Tapper addressed this on his New…..*cough* ……minted CNN Sunday show and Andrea did hers on MTP with Chuck the Birther Todd.

• 30 CEB
      July 19, 2015 at 6:18 pm

Wow, I need to check and see if pigs are flying.

• July 19, 2015 at 7:00 pm

The media along with the Republicans kept their mouth closed when Trump were on tv every where saying that President Obama was not born in this country. The media continue to give Trump a platform to spread his birther racists B.S., now all of a sudden Mitchell is saying this. Well I say to Mitchell, why didn’t she stand up to Trump?

• 33 amk for obama
        July 19, 2015 at 7:12 pm

Nailed it. These fifth columnist mofos are the ones that gave the public platform to the racist nutjobs to spread their ugliness 24×7. Now that these hateful nuts lead by donald, the dreck, is attacking their sugar daddies, these corrupt journos are suddenly righteous ? fuck’em all.

14. 34 Nena20409
    July 19, 2015 at 4:58 pm

Then, this from a Fox Contributor?
    Hmm?

15. 35 Nerdy Wonka
    July 19, 2015 at 5:00 pm

All. Of. The. Tears.

• 36 jackiegrumbacher
      July 19, 2015 at 5:37 pm

Nerdy, at this point, it’s become almost farcical. Whatever magic Bernie elixir his supporters have imbibed, it’s making them incoherent and stupid. They are becoming ridiculous to the point of irrelevance. I long for the day when people will say, Bernie Who? And I know that day is coming soon.

• 37 theo67
        July 19, 2015 at 5:45 pm

It’s already here… They’re in an echo chamber, so they hear the echoes of their spouted nonsense, and think there’s a majority in agreement.

16. July 19, 2015 at 5:10 pm

‘Many service members wake up early to perform their duties, but very few spend their days tending to the highly trained horses that carry our nation’s fallen soldiers to their final resting places. That’s the job of those who work in the Army’s elite Caisson Platoon of the 3rd U.S. Infantry Regiment — the Old Guard — which is responsible for ceremonies and memorial proceedings at Arlington National Cemetery. U.S. Army Spc. Tyler Salas, 24, works as a farrier for the platoon out of a stable at Joint Base Myer-Henderson Hall. He grew up in the small town of Culver, Oregon, on a 100-acre farm that had several horses. They weren’t of interest to him then, though. “I had dirt bikes and four-wheelers. The horses were my sister’s deal,” he said. “But once I got here to the Old Guard, I saw the horses in the cemetery and thought, ‘Man, I want to do that.’”

He took a horsemanship course and trained to join the Caisson Platoon, where he is one of two men who care for the dozens of horses that pull the caissons, or wagons, that were originally built in the early 1900s for carrying cannons. They’re now used to carry the caskets of fallen soldiers. In the stable’s farrier shop, horseshoes hang from the walls, and welder masks and other tools can be found all over the place. Salas’ day starts at 5:30 a.m., when he and fellow farrier Spc. Todd Kline get to work taking off the horses’ shoes, cleaning and trimming their hooves and remounting the shoes. They focus particularly on the teams of horses that will be part of ceremonies in the cemetery that day…continued’

17. 41 MightyPamela
    July 19, 2015 at 5:11 pm

I will share my well-earned cup of tea with our beloved President Obama! 🐻 ❤

18. July 19, 2015 at 5:12 pm

19. July 19, 2015 at 5:18 pm

Happy B-day, LL! ….hope everyone is enjoying their Sunday 😎

…I think I’m going to avoid the ocean this summer 😦

20. 63 MadameSoph
    July 19, 2015 at 5:42 pm

Thanks for posting this article, Nerdy! There should be more like this one written about PBO every day!

I was about to post a comment on the last thread, but a girlfriend who I haven’t talked to in awhile phoned, and we spent 3 hours catching up 🙂

The “All lives matter” thing has always seemed so passive-aggressively hostile to me. Of course “all lives matter”! Any true liberal is a liberal because we believe, as PBO has quoted many times that, “I am my brother’s keeper” and that we rise and fall together. PBO himself is an example of someone who truly cares about all of humanity, no matter the shade, sexual orientation or circumstances.

But those who say “All lives matter” in response to “Black lives matter” are clearly, in my mind and to my heart, retorting rather than responding. There is an inherent negation of “Black lives matter” by responding with “All lives matter” and, to me, whether those who use the “All lives matter” retort realize it consciously or not, they are being defensive. Why do you feel the need to get defensive if you are not subconsciously or secretly separating yourself out from your brothers and sisters of different shades? And for the politicians, such as HRC and BS (BS… perfect, huh?), using “All lives matter” when speaking before supporters is an obvious “Don’t worry, I’m one of you.” signal to those frightened or angered by “Black lives Matter”

To me, if all lives really did matter to these people, they would SEE what is so blatantly before them; they wouldn’t need it explained to them. If they truly felt value in all lives, they would understand the need for and reason for “Black lives Matter.”

July 19, 2015 at 5:54 pm

His motorcade just passed by – he didn’t even stop at that restaurant or get out and wave to them….and they burst into applause just seeing the motorcade. New Yorkers sure love their President! 🙂 🙂 🙂

July 19, 2015 at 6:12 pm

This one is for Desertflower – because she loves quizzes.

I only got 80%, and for the burglary report I had to use my calculator. 😳

23. July 19, 2015 at 6:16 pm

24. July 19, 2015 at 6:36 pm

So, I’m cooking for my b/day. Tonight’s menu:

Pork tenderloin, slow cooked in a crock pot, with wine, soy sauce garlic
    Buttery mashed taters.

25. July 19, 2015 at 6:43 pm

26. 87 JER
    July 19, 2015 at 7:19 pm

Happy Birthday LL.

27. July 19, 2015 at 7:26 pm

One can dream 🙂

28. July 19, 2015 at 7:39 pm

29. July 19, 2015 at 7:44 pm

Hello #TOD family.!! wavin 🙂

July 19, 2015 at 7:45 pm

Can someone please tell me who this crazy ass woman is that’s supposed it know better and has her fingers in her ears?? What a crock of shit.

31. July 19, 2015 at 8:01 pm

32. 106 sabreen60
    July 19, 2015 at 8:03 pm

Happy Birthday, LL!

33. July 19, 2015 at 8:04 pm

So, I have pork tenderloin stewing in my slow cooker in a soup of water, wine, onion soup mix, soy sauce, and garlic. Smells amazing.

34. July 19, 2015 at 8:05 pm

The best advice this white dude can possibly give him ….

35. July 19, 2015 at 8:09 pm

July 19, 2015 at 8:16 pm

Okay. Alright. I won’t post anymore quizzes. I’ve actually been on this quiz site for hours now, finding out how much I don’t know. 😀 :D. It’s been fun though!

July 19, 2015 at 8:19 pm

Even more video from Mick Fanning in SA at the surfing championships…. WOW!

38. July 19, 2015 at 8:33 pm

• July 19, 2015 at 8:49 pm

I appreciate this position, but no one is going to measure up to President Obama. And the destruction of everything he has accomplished by electing a GOP prez and congress will be to no one’s benefit and leave us at the mercy of more horrible wars and even less justice.

39. 133 Nena20409