Nov

The President’s Day One In Lima

000388451w

President Barack Obama holds a town hall with Young Leaders of the Americas Initiative (YLALI) at the Pontifical Catholic University of Peru

000388456w

000388448w

000388436w

000388458w

screen-shot-2016-11-20-at-11-22-06-am

000388433w

screen-shot-2016-11-20-at-11-21-58-am

screen-shot-2016-11-20-at-11-36-44-am

President Barack Obama is greeted by Peru’s President Pedro Pablo Kuczynski during the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation meeting at the Lima Convention Center

screen-shot-2016-11-20-at-11-43-39-am

President Barack Obama makes a statement before a meeting with Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) Leaders

screen-shot-2016-11-20-at-11-37-02-am

President Barack Obama holds a bilateral meeting with President Xi Jinping of China

screen-shot-2016-11-20-at-11-36-53-am

screen-shot-2016-11-20-at-11-37-10-am

screen-shot-2016-11-20-at-11-37-18-am

101 Responses to “The President’s Day One In Lima”

November 20, 2016 at 12:53 pm

I will post this here, hoping that this important story is passed along.

• 6 Don
      November 20, 2016 at 1:05 pm

Very interesting read, ds, I’m always amazed or disturbed at how so easily the middle-class and to some extent the poor seem to vote against their own best interest. It’s like they forget about using common sense and go for the visceral or the id. Any normal thinking person could see Trump for what he truly is, a bully, thin-skinned, narcissist. History has taught us the fall of a civilization or a nation very rarely starts from the outside.

November 20, 2016 at 1:19 pm

They don’t WANT to see! They could easily blame the “libtard, Democrat black President” for all kinds of things he never did…never intended to do. IN a bubble of their own making, with the feedback loop on full blast…never realizing that this man they voted for, simply used them all as a means to an end. He cares nothing for them, their pathetic lives, their pathetic little jobs….he used them and their fear of anyone not like them. Blamed the “others” for taking from them while all the while, it was HIM that was doing the taking and making their lives miserable and more and more impossible. And he’s not done yet. Because he, and others like him, believe that if these people have, then there’s less for them. Not acceptable. He needs ALL the money, ALL the power, ALL the glory. ALL the influence. DT didn’t WANT the Presidency…didn’t even expect to win…It was won FOR him and stolen from the American people….but now that he’s there, he will do whatever will benefit him and his family at the expense of a nation. We can not let that happen. We have to hold the media accountable, our elected officials accountable, and mobilize and organize in ways we didn’t think possible. This is for your children and your grandchildren. We fight on for them.

• November 20, 2016 at 1:15 pm

Thank you, df.

Yes it is important, but only if people begin acting as if they stop talking about history and visiting Holocaust Museums and begin taking actions to stop Trump from being Inaugurated ….

November 20, 2016 at 1:02 pm

3. 26 Nerdy Wonka
    November 20, 2016 at 1:10 pm

November 20, 2016 at 1:21 pm

Happy Birthday, VP Biden!! Definitely the coolest VP EVER!

5. November 20, 2016 at 1:33 pm

6. November 20, 2016 at 1:42 pm

7. 33 betseyc
    November 20, 2016 at 1:43 pm

Hello TOD friends. These days I spend my time photographing nature, especially wildflowers, and writing about ecology, environmental issues, and botany. Seems pretty small in the face of the onslaught. But the onslaught has been ever-present, and over the years I’ve taken a lot of solace from Paul Hawken’s “Blessed Unrest,” a book about the millions and millions of people all over the world who are working for change, in small ways and large. He says it’s the largest and most under-the-radar movement in history. I just wrote an essay about it, Sowing Seeds into the Whirlwind, and in case other people can be similarly consoled, thought I’d share it here. http://thesouloftheearth.com/sowing-fabaceae-seeds-whirlwind/

• 34 Judith Fardig
      November 20, 2016 at 3:58 pm

Betsey – this is stunningly beautiful! Thanks so much for bringing it here.

• 36 arapaho415
      November 20, 2016 at 4:34 pm

GA betseyc.

Wow, I am *completely* blown away by your stunning talent, and the superb detail of flowers in these photos (#IlovePlants!) included with essay.

With the exception of Missouri, I’ve been to all these locations, and have not seen any of the wildflowers you capture so beautifully here.

It sounds like you’ve been to so many interesting and gorgeous places, having been to:

Alaska:
      Denali National Park

California:
      Anza-Borrego Desert
      Point Reyes National Seashore
      Santa Monica Mountains

Coeur d’ Alene, Idaho

Organ National Mountains, New Mexico

Simply spectacular, thank you so much for sharing (would have given you credit in this tweet, but don’t know if you’re on Twitter).

• 37 betseyc
        November 20, 2016 at 5:17 pm

Wow, thank you so much, Arapaho. I’m not on twitter. I was afraid I’d fall down the politics hole of Twitter and never get back out. But I do follow you all, and your links, here and online. Our world is so full of beauty. I’m so blessed to be able to wander around and do this in my retirement. I was a landscape designer, so flowers and I go way back. I’ve seen your love of plants and your succulent garden. Nature is such a consolation. It’s sad that we have to fight so hard to protect it.

8. November 20, 2016 at 1:47 pm

This cannot stand.

9. 40 JER
    November 20, 2016 at 1:54 pm

10. 53 JER
    November 20, 2016 at 1:58 pm

@markknoller

11. 54 JER
    November 20, 2016 at 2:04 pm

12. 57 JER
    November 20, 2016 at 2:18 pm

“You should feel optimistic about the future. You shouldn’t feel pessimistic…the truth is the world is in a place where it can solve its problems and be even better 20 years from now or 50 years from now. You have to start with that hope, that sense of optimism inside you, because if you don’t feel that way, then you don’t bother to try to have an impact” —President Obama during a town hall in Peru with young leaders from across the Americas. — Whitehouse

November 20, 2016 at 2:20 pm

MSM perpetuates the lies to disappear the accomplishments and truths of this administration and Presidency. Everyone reading this needs to respond to Tally’s post…the blatant lies and distortions are wrong! I posted the email for CBS “news” contact. This is not acceptable!

November 20, 2016 at 2:28 pm

Good afternoon, gentle people! Hope you’re all enjoying good weather (since I’m a bit chilly around the edges watching the trees bending friskily from side to side, while little white flurries scurry to the ground).

• 60 GGail
      November 20, 2016 at 5:17 pm

Thanks vc. I wonder what will happen to all of the progress and advancements made by the DOI. Including whether Sec Jewel will remain at the helm and whether any of her efforts can be reversed.

November 20, 2016 at 6:00 pm

Greetings and YVW, GxG. I would like to think that most of what Sec Jewell and her department have done can’t be easily reversed. And as to the rest , if you were her would you want to remain under the incoming idiot? The fact that her team has always been so eager to credit PBO on his DOI initiatives makes me think that those who can will leave.

November 20, 2016 at 2:33 pm

Me. #NotMypresident

I listened as they called my President a Muslim (as if it were a bad thing). I listened as they called him a monkey. I listened as they said he wasn’t born here. I watched as they blocked every single path to progress that they could. I saw the pictures of him as Hitler. I listened as they openly said that they will oppose him at every turn. I watched as they did just that. I listened and I watched and I paid attention. Now, I’m being called on to be tolerant. To move forward. To “Get over it.” To accept this…

I will not. I will do my part to make sure this great American mistake becomes the embarrassing footnote of our history that it deserves to be, as quickly as possible. I will do my part to limit the damage that this man can do to my country. I will vote. I will watch his every move and point out every single mistake and misdeed in a loud and proud voice. Do not call for my tolerance. I’ve tolerated all I can. Now it’s their turn to tolerate ridicule. Be aware, make no mistake about it, every single thing that goes wrong in our country from this day forward is now Trump’s fault just as much as they thought it was Obama’s. I find it unreasonable for them to expect from me what they were entirely unwilling to give.

They will find no shelter here.

16. November 20, 2016 at 2:33 pm

Just in case you think Putin wasn’t (isn’t) playing for ALL the marbles ….

17. 68 FoxfireTX
    November 20, 2016 at 2:34 pm

I was disappointed yesterday that cspan did not air PBO’s town hall in Lima despite being on the schedule. BUT it is scheduled again for this afternoon on cspan1 at 4:40 est along with his final news conference abroad at 6:30. I have been dvr-ing as many of his appearances as I can:-)

November 20, 2016 at 5:22 pm

I too was disappointed yesterday that CSPAN didn’t carry the town hall. I watched it live online but would have liked to record it like you said. Meanwhile, I definitely need to DVR the press conference tonight because I might not be able to watch it live.

• 70 FoxfireTX
        November 20, 2016 at 7:36 pm

Managed to get both today Hopefruit! The last few minutes of the townhall were cut off by the press conference starting early but got most of it and the press conference.

18. November 20, 2016 at 2:34 pm

• 72 Don
      November 20, 2016 at 2:50 pm

Bob, you are so right, I was watching a documentary today about Hitler on one of the history channels. It was the average citizen that gave him his power; the accountant and the school teacher and the shop owner.

November 20, 2016 at 2:37 pm

November 20, 2016 at 2:39 pm

bbl…off to tutor

21. 76 Dudette
    November 20, 2016 at 4:11 pm

22. 78 susanne
    November 20, 2016 at 4:17 pm

gm TOD, and another day of gratitude for PBO, Nerdy, Chips, and all the good hearts gathered here.

23. 79 Dudette
    November 20, 2016 at 4:22 pm

24. 80 globalcitizenlinda
    November 20, 2016 at 4:29 pm

days ago, I posted here about why most people just accepted as fact that those many voters could vote for issues and down-ballot candidates and not the president.

and this anomaly coming after we had been warned before hand that the electoral systems in different states had been compromised before any votes were ever cast.

did this happen only in the swing states where the vote mattered most and not in other states?

I need independent non-partisan scientific proof to demonstrate that nothing happened to compromise the votes … but until then I will be left wondering if someone knows something and they are just keeping quiet

25. 81 globalcitizenlinda
    November 20, 2016 at 5:01 pm

I wrote this earlier today when I saw the tweet from NY’s Cuomo about his efforts to deal with the bigotry.

since all wounds have been opened by this election, we need to address them in holistic manner

;

We have often heard people ask, why minorities do not trust law enforcement as much as the majority community … things like their vocal support of the demagogue can’t be over-looked as part of the explainer.

I feel that the role of law enforcement in this election cycle has not received the attention it deserves.

Clearly, it needs to be recorded both for history because it is going to be very important if these organizations continue resisting changes that are overdue and then incidents are bound to occur to make their attempt at quelling resulting civil disturbances something that further tests this nation’s glue.

I want history to record that once again, when the time came to choose a side, law enforcement organizations choose the side of the bully, financial scoundrel, demagogue/bigot, misogynist, sexual predator against the victims.

;

I have been trying to make people focus on the fact that law enforcement organizations that proudly endorsed (and voted for the demagogue) did not think this through and are going to be paying a price for that for a longtime.

The reason I say this is not because law enforcement officers are not free to vote for whomever they please but given the current strained/hostile relationships between minority communities and police was just made worse by that endorsement.

On top of that, law enforcement endorsed an open law breaker and sexual predator so that adds another layer for victims of sexual crimes.

;

So this morning I see this tweet from Cuomo, New York’s governor saying he is ordering a special unit of state police to protect victims of hate crime.

I know he means well but I think he needs to first deal with the fact that the victims of these crimes know that the law enforcement organizations chose to stand with their oppressor. They may not commit the crimes but they enabled them with their votes and public support.
    Even if the national organization is the one that endorsed, it was incumbent upon the local chapters to stand up and disavow the demagogue before the vote.

The elected officials need to understand the broken trust and address it now otherwise the wounds will only grow deeper.
    Worse still, the situation may explode when officers’ activities in minority communities result in death of someone.

Needless to say, justice and police reform is going to take a back burner now.

My request is for people to pause and remind the elected officials to deal with this before situations worsen.
    I am trying to do my part here and I hope the governor’s office deals with this broken trust before he can move forward.
    If you feel you can send the same message to the governor then I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you.

;

While I endorse this action by NY’s governor, he also needs to talk to his forces about the role they played. They had an option to remain neutral.

;

26. 86 Dudette
    November 20, 2016 at 5:02 pm

27. 87 carolyn
    November 20, 2016 at 5:06 pm

I’m beginning to think that we are sitting on top of an electoral volcano that is going to erupt before January Inauguration Day. This is very different from 2000. The entire atmosphere is different, and I think one reason is because we had an election stolen from us in 2000. We are not going to accept this again. There was just too much chicanery.

• 88 globalcitizenlinda
      November 20, 2016 at 5:25 pm

as is the nature of things, eventually someone will tell what happened to whom and where … voter suppression and all;

let us hope all went well or that it is not too late

28. 89 Obama Grandmama
    November 20, 2016 at 5:16 pm

To me the very fact that Trump kept harping the vote was rigged accusing the Democrats of it is suspicious. It seemed that during the campaign Trump was always accusing the opposition of whatever he was doing or did.

29. 91 Dudette
    November 20, 2016 at 5:17 pm

Woooooot! 👏🏾💃🏾👏🏾💃🏾👏🏾💃🏾👏🏾❤️

30. 92 Dudette
    November 20, 2016 at 5:34 pm

I second this! 👇🏾

• 93 mtmarilyn
      November 20, 2016 at 6:31 pm

I second this too. Hey Dudette, how are you doing? I am hanging in surviving by listening to books, skipping all news and only being on TOD and twitter. I haven’t even been on Facebook. At my Sacred Journey group today we talked about what each one of us can do. It was very helpful. Just remember we are all in this together. We must take in all we can these last months of our President.

November 20, 2016 at 5:45 pm